[SOLVED] Upgrade to Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.20GHz from Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.30GHz?

Feb 1, 2020
Hi, I'm considering upgrading my system to get a bit more performance from gaming. I think my current bottleneck is my processor but I'd really appreciate some advise on whether this is correct and whether I would see a noticeable speed increase if I upgrade to an Intel Core i7-7700K (which I believe is the max CPU my current system will take). My current setup is below:

Intel Core i5-6600 Skylake CPU, 4 Cores, 3.3 - 3.9GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card
Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Motherboard
16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)
120GB Samsung 750 EVO Solid State Drive

Last edited:
Solution
4 Cores 4 Threads @ 3.9ghz "Locked"

vs

4 Cores 8 Threads @ 4.2ghz "Unlocked"

:unsure:

Off the fly, in gaming terms, Cores/Threads matter if you're locked to 4 Cores/4 Threads going to 6C/6T or 4C/8T is going to be an improvement, include the base frequency and the ability to overclock and you have a CPU that is on par with an i5 9600K once overclocked. I would say go with the 7700K and invest in a decent cooler then push the overclock up as high as you can get.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

vs

Off the fly, in gaming terms, Cores/Threads matter if you're locked to 4 Cores/4 Threads going to 6C/6T or 4C/8T is going to be an improvement, include the base frequency and the ability to overclock and you have a CPU that is on par with an i5 9600K once overclocked. I would say go with the 7700K and invest in a decent cooler then push the overclock up as high as you can get.

Reactions: emaildrose
Solution
Feb 1, 2020

vs

Thanks for the advise! I have a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 CPU Cooler at the moment, I assume that wouldn't be good enough to overclock?

i have the same processor and thinking of upgrade... if u get the 7700k within a reasonable price then go ahead, where i live buying a i5 9400f with a new mobo will be way more affordable; and always remember physical cores are way more powerful than virtual cores/threads... so in theory, i5 9400f will beat i7...

The i7 would be a good upgrade I think. However, depending how much it cost is the question. It appears that the on what in the USA, they go from about 250-300 up to 400 dollars. I guess the question is how much.

If you're going to be paying that much, for example, you could be into a ryzen 2600 and b450 board for 200 or just over. And still have a little left over for faster ram. You could then resell your current gear and probably recoup most of your costs. Alternatively you could probably go for a newer i5 and board. But without them having hyperthreading, I think a ryzen CPU makes more sense imo.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
The i7 would be a good upgrade I think. However, depending how much it cost is the question. It appears that the on what in the USA, they go from about 250-300 up to 400 dollars. I guess the question is how much.

If you're going to be paying that much, for example, you could be into a ryzen 2600 and b450 board for 200 or just over. And still have a little left over for faster ram. You could then resell your current gear and probably recoup most of your costs. Alternatively you could probably go for a newer i5 and board. But without them having hyperthreading, I think a ryzen CPU makes more sense imo.
eBay they go for around $250+
Classifieds they go for around $175-$220.

I have a harder time finding a reasonable i7 7700 instead of a 7700K or 7700T

To go RYZEN and match the Gaming fps you would need to add close to $120 because you need at least a 2700X/3600.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($164.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($72.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $317.45

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
And the op does not have to go ryzen. No reason you can't pick up a new Intel CPU and board. Just saying it's an option.

And there lies a problem, a 7700K is relatively the same to a 9600K @ $230 :unsure: in most games.

9th Gen
9600K "$230" + MB that allows overclocking "$108+"= $338+ vs just finding the CPU

Intel Core i5-9600K Review

I know the "Well it gives you more upgradability, right? Well no because 9th gen chip prices and Intel, in general, stay high and the 10th gen will require a new socket.

Last edited:

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Point taken. So if staying Intel, stay with 7700k as there probably won't be any upgrading even from a new Intel socket anyway.

You can only beat that 14nm horse for so long, once you move to 10nm or 7nm then the IPC difference should warrant a mid-range low-cost chip that completely bypassing a 7700K..... And then there is what the other guy has to offer that is cheaper with lower costing motherboards. :unsure:

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Right. But if the op upgraded to a 9 series chip and board, the rate Intel changes sockets, they probably won't be able to swap CPUs like AMD as of recent.

9th gen is the last on that socket, what is about to launch has been confirmed to be a new socket "LGA1200" The downside is it lacks anything really new, No DDR5 or PCIe 5.0 which is slated for 2021 late into 2022 on a new chipset for that socket.

So if you buy 9th gen... it's dead
If you but a 10th gen...it's dead
11th most likely will have 2 separate CPU lines "10nm and the transition into 7nm" and then another chipset for 7nm+, 7nm++. From foundry news, 5nm/3nm are looking on track for 2025-2026. So basically from now until 2026, you can expect a new chipset/socket every 1-2 years. 😔

AMD, on the other hand, will try to incorporate as many CPU upgrades on to the same socket if possible. AM4 has Ryzen 1,2,3. Ryzen 4000 should be on AM5 "2021 with DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 and should be extended 3-4 years, this is typically how AMD has always operated.