Upgrade to MSI GeFrorce GTX1060 Gaming x, Is this the right move.

Nov 23, 2018
Helo to all,
I'm in serious need to upgrade my Graphics card for gaming purposes. I currently have a outdated pc and want to upgrade a bit.

I stated by looking for an affordably graphics card, the gtx1060.

But im sure if the motherboard and cpu I'm looking at as well, will be compatible ?

The motherboard I'm looking at is the
ASUS TUF B360-PLUS Gaming LGA 1151 Intel ATX Motherboard

and the cpu
Intel 8th Gen Core i7-8700K or
Intel 8th Gen Core i5-8600

Any help or suggestion will be appreciated
thanks !!

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
also depends on what you're upgrading from.

If what you're upgrading from is a platform that uses DDR3 then you'll also need to buy new RAM.

Please tell us what your old/current hardware is and your budget for the upgrade and we may be able to find you a better set of upgrades, or just confirm the one's you've chosen.

Also please tell us what country you're in so we know how to best find the right parts for the right price.

For what you have as current specs please list everything with detail such as make and model.
Don't just say stuff like you have an i5 and a 600w psu, but actually tell us which CPU specifically you have, as well as the model of the motherboard, the model of the PSU, etc.

Nov 23, 2018
Thanks guys, that is really quick responses.

Im actually thinking of getting everything new, including the RAM
and new power supply to support the new upgrade.

so what PSU do you guys suggest ? and if you have a better suggtion for the cpu, please do so.

I currently only have 4gb ddr3
and cpu i5-4440
GeForce GT 640

Oh, and i`m from South Africa

Nov 23, 2018
Thanks guys, that is really quick responses.

Im actually thinking of getting everything new, including the RAM
and new power supply to support the new upgrade.

so what PSU do you guys suggest ? and if you have a better suggtion for the cpu, please do so.

I currently only have 4gb ddr3
and cpu i5-4440
GeForce GT 640

Oh, and i`m from South Africa

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I'm not able to confirm entirely what is available to you where you live, but I do know Amazon is place to buy from.

Using American PCPP and Amazon I've put together a build based around the 8600K and the GTX 1060.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($105.80 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($104.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GT OCV1 Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.47 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $967.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-23 03:22 EST-0500

Storage can of course be brought over from your current build and you don't have to get another HDD or even an SSD (although an SSD is super nice to have)
And you also can go for some better cooling with an AiO if you want to push overclocks further than about 4.5GHz.

Nov 23, 2018
Thanks, xSimply1337x

Just curious tho know, what CPU and RAM u would recommend with the :

GeFrorce GTX1060 Gaming x and
SUS TUF B360-PLUS Gaming LGA 1151 + Cooler Master HYPER 212L CPU Cooler

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
the RAM doesn't change unless there's a better option price wise for where you live.

If going to buy a B360 board, you can of course get a K series CPU, but you just won't be overclocking. But it will already be purchased so that when you feel it's time and you have the money to get a Z series board, you're good to go.

Otherwise you could save money by getting an non-K series chip.
not the case in America though since the 8600K is cheaper than the non K versions of 8th Gen CPU.

So you could go with the B360 board but if you ever want to overclock, you'll need to buy a new board that is Z series.