[SOLVED] Upgrade to socket 1151 i7 9700k?

jdidds

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Current build is ancient:

ASROCK extreme 6 mobo
i5 2500k
16Gb Ram
GTX 980 Ti
SSDx2 HDDx1

I game and use photoshop.

I'm thinking of dolling out some cash to upgrade. I'm happy with my GPU at the moment. It still performs quite decently, but my processor needs a bit of an upgrade.

I was thinking of going for:

1151 socket mobo
i7 9700k

would this be worth it in 2019? Any other recommendation?

Solution
Yes, the i7-9700K is worth it in 2019. The only chipset motherboards 9th-gen Intel CPUs are compatible with out-of-the-box is Z390.

Other options are the i7-8700K, which is a six-core with hyper-threading. But from what I saw in benchmarks it was still slightly slower than the i7-9700K, which is an eight-core but it does not have hyper-threading.

Then there is the i9-9900K, which is an eight-core with hyper-threading. Other than that there is AMD if you want to save money with the Ryzen 7 2700X.

You will need a CPU cooler with any of the Intel CPUs mentioned. Tell us what case you have and we can recommend a good air cooler or liquid if you're feeling it.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes, it would be "worth it"... a very solid upgrade.

As an alternative, you might want to consider Ryzen. For example, a 2600 or 2600X. 6c/12t (vs the 8/8 of a 9700K) for less money. You do lose a bit in terms of IPC, but still a solid offering and more budget friendly.

Alternatively, looking to an 8th Gen Intel chip (i7-8700K, 8086K if you can find one) will net you 6c/12t too..... More viable IMO vs a strict 8 core.

Yes, the i7-9700K is worth it in 2019. The only chipset motherboards 9th-gen Intel CPUs are compatible with out-of-the-box is Z390.

Other options are the i7-8700K, which is a six-core with hyper-threading. But from what I saw in benchmarks it was still slightly slower than the i7-9700K, which is an eight-core but it does not have hyper-threading.

Then there is the i9-9900K, which is an eight-core with hyper-threading. Other than that there is AMD if you want to save money with the Ryzen 7 2700X.

You will need a CPU cooler with any of the Intel CPUs mentioned. Tell us what case you have and we can recommend a good air cooler or liquid if you're feeling it.

Solution

jdidds

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Yes, it would be "worth it"... a very solid upgrade.

As an alternative, you might want to consider Ryzen. For example, a 2600 or 2600X. 6c/12t (vs the 8/8 of a 9700K) for less money. You do lose a bit in terms of IPC, but still a solid offering and more budget friendly.

Alternatively, looking to an 8th Gen Intel chip (i7-8700K, 8086K if you can find one) will net you 6c/12t too..... More viable IMO vs a strict 8 core.

Thank you for the reply. I was actually looking into the Ryzen processors too.

Hmmm I'm not so up on this stuff, but won't this MOBO work with the i7-9700K too?

MSI B360 Gaming Arctic, Socket-1151

Hmmm I'm not so up on this stuff, but won't this MOBO work with the i7-9700K too?

MSI B360 Gaming Arctic, Socket-1151

It could work, but only if the bios has been updated to support the newer 9th-gen CPUs. B360, H310, H370, and Z370 all require a bios update to support 9th-gen CPUs. They were made for 8th-gen. Also, you would not have overclocking support. Overclocking is only supported on Z-series motherboards if you are using Intel CPUs.

jdidds

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
It could work, but only if the bios has been updated to support the newer 9th-gen CPUs. B360, H310, H370, and Z370 all require a bios update to support 9th-gen CPUs. They were made for 8th-gen. Also, you would not have overclocking support. Overclocking is only supported on Z-series motherboards if you are using Intel CPUs.

Okay, so then it would require me to boot up the mobo with another processor in order to install the bios to enable me to use the i7 9700k? Would it be better to get the i7 8700k in that regard since I don't have another processor other than my 2500k?

Okay, so then it would require me to boot up the mobo with another processor in order to install the bios to enable me to use the i7 9700k? Would it be better to get the i7 8700k in that regard since I don't have another processor other than my 2500k?
Yes, exactly. You would need an 8th-gen CPU to do so. Sometimes the motherboard could have been manufactured after the bios update was released, in which case it would already be updated. No way to know unless you knew the serial number and the naming scheme the manufacturer used for the date.

jdidds

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Yes, exactly. You would need an 8th-gen CPU to do so. Sometimes the motherboard could have been manufactured after the bios update was released, in which case it would already be updated. No way to know unless you knew the serial number and the naming scheme the manufacturer used for the date.

Well that's a little silly. Hmm perhaps I'll just get a Z390 mobo instead.

Well that's a little silly. Hmm perhaps I'll just get a Z390 mobo instead.
I agree. Intel is known for being silly and encouraging you to buy newer, more expensive hardware.

AMD on the other hand released the cheaper B450 chipset along with their 2nd-gen Ryzen CPUs, so you don't have to get the more expensive X470 chipset motherboard if you want to buy 2nd-gen Ryzen.

jdidds

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
I agree. Intel is known for being silly and encouraging you to buy newer, more expensive hardware.

AMD on the other hand released the cheaper B450 chipset along with their 2nd-gen Ryzen CPUs, so you don't have to get the more expensive X470 chipset motherboard if you want to buy 2nd-gen Ryzen.

I may well go that route. I've always had intel though, not that that matters.

Just out of curiosity, would the MSI Z390-A PRO support the i7-9700k out of the box?

https://www.komplett.no/product/110...390-a-pro-s-1151?offerId=KOMPLETT-310-1102339

It's just a marginally little bit more expensive.

Latest posts