[SOLVED] Upgrade to Win 10 on ASUS P8H77-V LE

SweesyM

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Hi everyone, I am considering purchasing a copy of Windows 10 for my trusty desktop, and I want to know if anyone has upgraded with this particular board. (Not clean install) First a small history then system specs.

I used to run an asrock z77 extreme4 and tried the free upgrade and it took my licence from my copy of Windows 7 fine, but had stability issues and I rolled back the update since asrock doesn't support Win10 for that old board. Didn't want to build a whole new system but dreading the end of life for Win7. Did small amount of research on the listed board and purchased one and got it installed, finally got LAN drivers, and fixed the "this copy not genuine" issue. I tried the free update again but now it does not take my Licence code so I think I will have to purchase a copy. Note: I have never formatted or reinstalled Windows on this system since I built it like 8 years ago. I welcome all thoughts but really want to know has anyone had a good upgrade experience.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit
ASUS P8H77-V LE bios version 0608
Crucial MX100 512 GB SSD (OS)
Some 3TB storage drive I forget the model.
Intel Core I7-3770 3.4ghz
Ripjaws 4x4gb DDR3 1333
Saphire Radeon RX 580 8GB DDR5 (updated, just got this in the mail)
Cooler Master 850 W PSU

Last edited:

SweesyM

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
The first time I tried, I still had the Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 installed and the Win 10 update accepted the product key. Now that I have switched mobo to the ASUS P8H77-V LE, I tried the upgrade again and for some reason it is not accepting the product key. I may have also used that product key when I attempted this with my Win 7 laptop. (ended up rolling that upgrade back for similar reasons.) I can accept that I need to purchase a licence key, I just want to have a little more confidence that it's likely to work. 3 people have answered "yes" at the online retailers website that Win 10 works on this board, and I can see ASUS website offers drivers for Win 10. I'm curious about upgrading while keeping files and programs, as to if people have experienced disaster and ended up doing a clean install.

SweesyM

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Thank you for that reply! I trust that this board will work with a clean install. Have you done the upgrade and kept all files and programs without issue? That's the question that I am most curious about.

Last edited:
Keeping all files and programs is not possible with a clean install. A clean install, is, well, clean. Anything else is not a clean install.

SweesyM

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Hi everyone, I have a new question in regard to this new board not always detecting/seeing my 3TB storage drive. Sometimes when I boot up the board will recognize the drive but I will not be able to access the folder with all my movies, etc. It will see the folder but it looks empty like there are no files in it. I also have youtubedownloader set to download files to a folder on that drive. When the board does recognize the drive...I can download a file with that folder open and see the file. I can also run the file/video. Then...if I close the folder or navigate away from it and then back to it...presto chango...folder is empty again. I remember I had to make changes in the BIOS in relation to AHCI settings for the HDD's.

(edit) Just rebooted and missed timing for pressing DEL button as I was going to check some more BIOS settings and decided to check the ability to navigate to the storage drive via the folder icon since it booted all the way to Windows. I navigated to the Storage drive right away as soon as windows loaded and can play videos from the folder fine right now while I'm writing this. I'm going to play around and see if I can cause or create the bug/problem.

Should I just open a new thread?

Last edited:

SweesyM

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Having trouble with the old "If this program didn't install correctly, try reinstalling using settings that are compatible with this version of Windows." I used the Win 7 64 bit drivers, which are the correct ones. I'll keep troubleshooting why these drivers are not installing.

SweesyM

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Ok, I had some trouble at first because I was not unzipping the downloaded drivers before running them. Ran chip set drivers today without issue.

Other items of note: I would be able to access the 2nd HDD if I opened it in file explorer immediately after boot. (now after updating drivers) This time I let the PC sit idle for a couple of hours after boot and then accessed the 2nd HDD without issue.

So far so good...I will post updates if anything of note occurs.

Thanks so much darkbreeze for your attention in this matter!

SweesyM

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
I was able to run the BIOS update. The situation is still the same. The odd thing about this board is that if I do not immediately access the folder/drive on the storage drive after boot (within minutes) I then cannot see the movie files on that drive and other files and folders on the drive don't behave properly.
I have an external dock that I don't really use anymore. I am considering using it as I really just want to bypass this problem at this point. I'll post another update next time I change something. I just want to be sure I can use the system reliably before I put Windows 10 on it. (don't want the hassle of activating Windows on another system later).
I may try a few other SATA ports or just re-seating the cable/change the cable...etc.
Thanks again for the help and advice.

SweesyM

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Ok, latest update. I am running the 3tb hdd from the external dock and it behaves fine. So probably the board or the sata cables. Will do more troubleshooting after Christmas break most likely.

Yeah, both of those could be to blame. Still weird though, because usually it's an all or nothing type situation, not this weird "works if used right away" type thing. Anything is always possible though. I'd bet there's something weird going on with the storage controller on the board but it could certainly be a cable issue.

SweesyM

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Using the external dock via one of the USB 3.0 plugs in on the back of the board and consistently have access to this HDD. It is even recognized as the correct drive letter and programs that used it work without flaw. No errors or problems when hooked up like this. Will be traveling for the holidays so no more troubleshooting until after the holidays. Thanks for all the insight into this.