Upgrade to Win 10 Prep Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeumBelli

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2014
Ok so this is my first time performing an os upgrade. I was wondering how to best prepare for upgrading for windows 10. I currently have windows 8.1.

For example how would i back up my computer prior to doing the upgrade? I was thinking i can just copy my ssd (C drive) to my hard drive since it has enough room to have a back up in case anything goes wrong. However i dont know if this is a good thing to do like can the upgrade affect my D drive too? I have a lot of stuff i really dont want to get ruined because i have too many important things. I sadly have no other drive i can use as a back up.

Also, when i do the update will i still be able to transfer the OS to another computer if i ever do an upgrade to it such as the motherboard or a new C drive?

And how important is it to do a clean install of windows 10? i keep hearing that a clean install is the safer option however i have so much stuff that it would take me days to redownload if i somehow cant backup my data.

Solution
no the liscence you get for your copy of windows 10 is for that computer only. it will not work if you try to use it on a different computer. as for doing hardware changes that is something we still need to find out. and when you are doing an upgrade it is not erasing any data off your computer
no the liscence you get for your copy of windows 10 is for that computer only. it will not work if you try to use it on a different computer. as for doing hardware changes that is something we still need to find out. and when you are doing an upgrade it is not erasing any data off your computer

Solution

Ember Cult

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
Your personal files and data wont be effected by the upgrade unless you do a clean install rather than a upgrade.
No need to do anything just do the upgrade even you useraccounts their wallpapers , desktop icons Like Everything will be still there as it is now after the upgrade.

DeumBelli

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2014

The way i understood windows 8.1 you could un register it for the computer its on and register it to a new one if you get a new computer. Meaning that it can only be registered to one computer at a time. So are you saying that wiht the win 10 upgrade that wouldnt be possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS