[SOLVED] Upgrade to Win11 from within Win10 updates

xtrips

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
Hello,
Already installed another non-compliant PC (no TPM) from scratch with a manipulated ISO.
But this other PC I want to upgrade to Win11, following the Insider Program.
The thing is it fails invariably at the Installing step 35% with the error 0xc0000005.
How can i debug that failure at 35%? Where is the install log? Or does anybody already know what's going on from what I described?

Solution
Right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

The error is a windows update error, you could try the Windows update troubleshooter. They are in Update & Security/troubleshoot/Additional troubleshooters

You could search for code on here - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...st-type/thread/board-id/WindowsInsiderProgram as it could be the update process for 11 to blame.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

The error is a windows update error, you could try the Windows update troubleshooter. They are in Update & Security/troubleshoot/Additional troubleshooters

You could search for code on here - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...st-type/thread/board-id/WindowsInsiderProgram as it could be the update process for 11 to blame.

Last edited:
Solution

xtrips

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
Didn't work. I am starting to wonder if anyone has ever succeeded to upgrade from Win10 to Win11 with all compatibilities except TPM and the appraiserres.dll trick.
I only managed to do a fresh install that way.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Didn't work. I am starting to wonder if anyone has ever succeeded to upgrade from Win10 to Win11 with all compatibilities
It can be done, if your PC passes all the necessary parts, it can update from 10 to 11. I know as I did

soLdJHi.jpg

and now I have it, I wonder what the rush is. Like I did before I got it. I can't really tell I am using a new OS, its just feels like 10. Maybe in a few months it might have more to it.

and now I have it, I wonder what the rush is. Like I did before I got it. I can't really tell I am using a new OS, its just feels like 10. Maybe in a few months it might have more to it.

This is something I've also been wondering. As a casual user in a home setting, the primary benefit of the increased security of W11 seems to be the Application Guard extension for browsing with Chrome or Edge. With Chrome, at least, if I start it in the non-Incognito normal mode, I go directly to the preset blank Home page protected by Application Guard. But if I start Chrome in the Incognito mode I prefer, I get a page that says Welcome to the Windows Defender Application Guard, which I don't need since I already know I installed the Application Guard extension. I then have to go through the tiny nuisance of closing that page or closing the preset blank Home page since I don't need or want two pages. Edge is worse since when I start that I do get my preset blank Home page but then I have to manually use the menu to open a new Application Guard page, which takes a couple of seconds to load and is unnecessarily cumbersome. What's the point of having Application Guard available in Edge if I can't set a default whereby it opens directly to an Application Guard page.

Ironically, all of this can be done just the same in W10, so its not a big W11 deal. MS could have told us about Application Guard at some time in the past (I don't know when they created that extension and the last update is listed as 10/5/20) and we could have already been using it. I don't ever recall an article mentioning this extension before the whole W11 security thing started.

I guess I'll have to use the Contact the Developer email option to complain about why I can't set it as a default in Edge and why I get an unnecessary page in Chrome. Don't these people ever think about how the ordinary user would be using their extensions?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows 11 isn't finished. Ask them about that if the problem still exists in a few months perhaps but now might be too soon.

I can't test that feature as I use Bitdefender and it disables Defender.

I have only barely used it for a few hours, so i don't know what its missing yet. Apart from a fast way to find Fast Startup since its not in the Power options settings screen