upgrade to Windows 10 Before or After installing new SSD???

Samaranicole89

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
[[[[[Clam8000Feb 27, 2016, 4:35 PM
SBMfromLA said:
Clam8000 said:
I am ready to upgrade to Windows 10 but also want to install a new and larger SSD drive. Should I upgrade to Windows 10 before or after installing the new SSD drive?

What I recommend you do is... Upgrade with the current drive to Windows 10.. and ACTIVATE IT.... then after you get your new SSD... perform a NEW AND CLEAN Reinstall of Windows 10 (no cloning)... Cloning is messy and you will probably NEVER have Windows fully optimized for the SSD.]]]]]

Hey everyone, I am about to the same thing, install a new ssd and need to upgrade to windows 10 on several machines here at the office.

What is the best way to do this without losing data and programs? I was leaning towards updating to Windows 10 and then cloning or cloning and then updating....

Anyone have any advice???

Samaranicole89

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017

Hi, Thank you for responding. I was planning on backing up the data for sure. I don't know if I have the software or storage space to backup the whole image but for sure the data.

My major question is whether I should be upgrading these machines to Windows 10 before or after upgrading the SSD???

I will be using the free Windows 10 upgrade that's on Microsoft site right now (the one for assisted users, seeing that our business uses those technologies).

Samaranicole89

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017

most people are telling me to upgrade to Windows 10 first.
either way I have to clone the image to the SSD

popatim

Titan
If you upgrade first it will move the current windows to a windows.old folder so you will then have to clone over more data. You'll also need to have room on the current boot drive for the windows.old folder.

Speed wise it would be faster to clone first then update.

Me, I would update and test everything first. Then decide if i want to reload the backup or continue on with 10.

Samaranicole89

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017

Space isn't an issue, I have plenty of room on my external hard drive and internal hard drives for the old windows folder.