Upgrade to Windows 10 on damaged HDD

G

Hi everyone,
I plan upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. But, there is one small problem.
Nearly three years ago I noticed my computer does not launch Windows. It showed an error with "Your computer was unable to start". Okay, after few minutes of startup repair my computer finally made it into Windows. I launched CrystalDisk and noticed it is showing one unstable and one damaged sector. I thought that the numbers of damaged sectors will increase. But it did not happen. I still have just one damaged and one unstable sector....
But, can I safely upgrade (I dont think about clean install) to Windows 10? What if the upgrade process of Windows 10 will fail or something else, just because my HDD has two unusable sectors?
-------------------------------------------
Another question is: Can Windows mark these sectors and stop using them? - Because,
what if Windows 10 will try to install and some of these data will store on these bad sectors.

Hope you understand and thanks for response.

Solution
Welcome to the community, martafiixek!

I'd recommend you to use your HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and check up on the health and SMART status again. In the SMART attributes, you should be able to see the amount of bad and pending bad sectors you have at the moment.
If there are only those two sectors indeed, then you shouldn't have any issues upgrading to Windows 10. However, I'd still keep an eye on the drive every now and then, and make sure you have the data stored there backed up on an external HDD or some other storage device elsewhere.

Once a sector is marked, it cannot be used again. That's why they are BAD, it prevents your system from using them for your data. If the other sector is pending, it means that it's still...
Welcome to the community, martafiixek!

I'd recommend you to use your HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and check up on the health and SMART status again. In the SMART attributes, you should be able to see the amount of bad and pending bad sectors you have at the moment.
If there are only those two sectors indeed, then you shouldn't have any issues upgrading to Windows 10. However, I'd still keep an eye on the drive every now and then, and make sure you have the data stored there backed up on an external HDD or some other storage device elsewhere.

Once a sector is marked, it cannot be used again. That's why they are BAD, it prevents your system from using them for your data. If the other sector is pending, it means that it's still blocked as well. Here's an article you should check out: http://www.howtogeek.com/173463/bad-sectors-explained-why-hard-drives-get-bad-sectors-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/
I'd still advise you to consider getting a new HDD though. Better safe than sorry, right?

Hope it helps. :) Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution
G

That's exactly what I wanted to hear!
-----------------------------------------------
Sure, I´m going to download software from manufacturer right now and then I will test it..This is my HDD: https://goo.gl/6m6yzD .
So far as I was saying just one sector is damaged , the other one is just unstable . All my data I've already backed up . Well, I plan to buy a new computer next year. (I'll see how long my computer will still work ) . Thanks a lot! :)