Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586 will not install

TheDarkOne198

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Since its release and up until now,I cannot get this update to install. I have tried all I can think of,even looking into the windows forums (thats what you call desperate). The problem is it saying that it cannot update at this time and apparently many have had this issue,from what I can tell. I can click retry until the cows come home and nothing. I have tried resetting the WU services and even used a script that does it for me and it doesnt fix the issue. I have tried both SFC and DISM,to no avail and lastly,I have tried installing the stand alone KB package and it says the update is not applicable to this computer. The only thing I have not tried is a refresh,which to be honest I dont want to go through the hassle of doing but will if I have to. Has anyone found a proper fix for this issue? I am paranoid that any updates wont install now,there is already a silverlight update that also wont install. I know there are other threads with this issue but I am given no error code so I dont know if I have the same cause or error. Hope someone can help with this.

TheDarkOne198

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
not sure the exact build number, or anything like that,as I dont know how to look it up. I just know its Windows 10 Pro and yes,its a legit and activated copy. I just ran across that download too,I haven't tried it yet. I am assuming it just has an upgrade option that keeps everything the same and just upgrades. It wont break my activation or anything,I hope. I know thats tied to my MOBO's UEFI BIOS to some extent,so I dont think it should,should it? I am downloading it now.

TheDarkOne198

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Update: the process worked and checks for updates show no updates now,although I did have to manually download and install a silverlight update,but that was no issue. I wonder if the "defer updates" option I have ticked did prevented it? It does say online that "Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available". Maybe that kept it from installing,as it was a new upgrade version and I have that turned on. I realize its to maybe prevent bad upgrades and updates not install until its been more tested and worked out. I dont know,I never tried turning that off and then trying to update but its a non issue now,so thanks again everyone.

Yes, that is what prevented the feature update. You may turn that off. I;ve never had any issues with 10 updates. Stop teh paranoia :)