[SOLVED] Upgrade to Z590 or stay with Z490

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
Hi everyone. I'm planning little upgrade from MSI Mag Tomahawk Z490 and i7 10700k to Z590 and i7 11700k.
Also, I will upgrade GPU from GTX 1080 Ti to RTX 3090 and add one NVME M.2 Samsung 970 evo plus and 4 ssds [256Gb] on sata 6gbps ports.

My question is:
Will my Z490 Mag Tomahawk handle this RTX 3090, nvme m.2, 4 ssds with i7 11700k, or I need to upgrade to Z590?

Reactions: thesexyfox
Solution
There are 6 sata ports and 2 m.2 nvme slots. I'm planning to use one m.2 nvme slot and 4 ssds with i7 11700k and rtx 3090? Will it reduce some performance on pcie 4 or I need Z590?

My apologies I took a quick look and missed two of the SATA.

PCI-e Gen 4 does run faster with capable hardware, so you could be leaving some performance on the table sticking with the 4xx chipset (with capable hardware). So far as I have seen so far from reviewers the gen 4 support for the GPU isn't that big a deal, yet. It may come more into play as the hardware is a larger portion of the market and drivers and such start optimizing that aspect. I haven't looked at it in a bit (since GPU are so hard to find/cost) so that already may be changing...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I note that the Tomahawk has (4) Sata connectors. You need to check the documentation to see if the m.2 slot causes one of the SATA ports to be disabled. Even if so, you might be able to add a PCI adapter for more SATA connections.

The video card will be more of a function of your power supply output.

So far as I can tell the only thing you would be short would be 4th gen PCI support on the storage and (possibly) the GPU?

Reactions: vladakv

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
I note that the Tomahawk has (4) Sata connectors. You need to check the documentation to see if the m.2 slot causes one of the SATA ports to be disabled. Even if so, you might be able to add a PCI adapter for more SATA connections.

The video card will be more of a function of your power supply output.

So far as I can tell the only thing you would be short would be 4th gen PCI support on the storage and (possibly) the GPU?

There are 6 sata ports and 2 m.2 nvme slots. I'm planning to use one m.2 nvme slot and 4 ssds with i7 11700k and rtx 3090? Will it reduce some performance on pcie 4 or I need Z590?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

PCI-e Gen 4 does run faster with capable hardware, so you could be leaving some performance on the table sticking with the 4xx chipset (with capable hardware). So far as I have seen so far from reviewers the gen 4 support for the GPU isn't that big a deal, yet. It may come more into play as the hardware is a larger portion of the market and drivers and such start optimizing that aspect. I haven't looked at it in a bit (since GPU are so hard to find/cost) so that already may be changing.
On storage it can make some difference, but at the same time it can come down to what you are moving and what from. By way of, if you are pulling information off a SATA 2.5" drive (or such) then that speed won't matter. Where you would realize it would be responsiveness within the OS pulling info from that NVME at that speed.

The 970 you listed is listed as gen 3, so unless you upgrade that it wouldn't matter.

Either way, very impressive spec. It should be a monster.

Solution

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016

PCI-e Gen 4 does run faster with capable hardware, so you could be leaving some performance on the table sticking with the 4xx chipset (with capable hardware). So far as I have seen so far from reviewers the gen 4 support for the GPU isn't that big a deal, yet. It may come more into play as the hardware is a larger portion of the market and drivers and such start optimizing that aspect. I haven't looked at it in a bit (since GPU are so hard to find/cost) so that already may be changing.
On storage it can make some difference, but at the same time it can come down to what you are moving and what from. By way of, if you are pulling information off a SATA 2.5" drive (or such) then that speed won't matter. Where you would realize it would be responsiveness within the OS pulling info from that NVME at that speed.

The 970 you listed is listed as gen 3, so unless you upgrade that it wouldn't matter.

Either way, very impressive spec. It should be a monster.
Thank you for fast answers. So, I dont need to upgrade mobo because i7 11700k on Z490 will activate pcie 4? So, no pcie4 bottleneck on this mobo with this specs?
I'm new in this, sorry for bothers with this questions.