Upgrade Win 7 32 bit to 64 bit

pharkit

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Im currently using windows 7 32 bit but will be doing new computer build soon and need to upgrade the OS to 64 bit. My current Win 7 dvd is locked to 32 bit and is an "upgrade" dvd. My question is, can I borrow my friend's Win 7 64 bit dvd and use my serial for activation? His dvd is also an "upgrade" copy.

Thanks.

Solution
The key is valid for both 32 and 64 bit of the same version of Windows. My upgrade pack included both in the box. You should be able to download Windows 7 ISO and burn a disc to install it.

Edit: Removed dead link...

You will likely have to call MS to activate it, which isn't a big problem. Just be sure you are trying to install the same version, i.e. Home Premium, Ultimate, as you bought. Your key is only for that version.

USAFRet

Titan
Probably not. That 'Upgrade' is to upgrade from Vista to 7. Not from 32bit to 64bit.

That 32bit to 64bit change is a full reinstall, not an 'Upgrade'.
But you can try it and see if it works. Be prepared to buy the right thing if it doesn't work.

The key is valid for both 32 and 64 bit of the same version of Windows. My upgrade pack included both in the box. You should be able to download Windows 7 ISO and burn a disc to install it.

Edit: Removed dead link...

You will likely have to call MS to activate it, which isn't a big problem. Just be sure you are trying to install the same version, i.e. Home Premium, Ultimate, as you bought. Your key is only for that version.

Solution

pharkit

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Thanks for replies. Yes I tried the digital river links before coming here. My Plan B would be to "source" a win 7 64 bit copy from elsewhere and use my legit serial but was hoping I could do it by using my friend's dvd copy.

You should be able to use your code with your friends disc. Might have to call MS for activation (they have an automated line) and you should be set.

pharkit

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
OK as of today I think I'll be a leading contestant for 'Noob of the Year Award', I took out the 32bit dvd and noticed there was a 2nd dvd marked... 64 bit. Had no idea! To be honest when I bought it I remember them clearly saying "this is only a 32 bit copy are you OK with that?" so I guess it was always at the back of my mind that I only had a 32 bit copy - even though I guess I must've seen the 2nd disc when I first installed the 32 bit version, though that was years ago.

Will post an update once it's all done.

Thanks all.

pharkit

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
I did fresh install with 64 bit and upon activation it said 'this serial is only for upgrade.' So I looked online for the 'phone activation' workaround but before doing that I rebooted and tried the serial again and it worked, go figure!

So thanks to you all Im now using 64 bit.