[SOLVED] Upgrade Win7 to 10, wireless signal changed

shooby73

Honorable
Jun 25, 2016
I probably should have titled this "does changing your OS change your wireless signal?"
I have had a pretty smooth connection wirelessly to my host house for weeks. I just upgraded to Win10 today and now I am getting huge lag spikes. No problem for Netflix, a disaster for online video games they are unplayable now. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what could change this? All hardware is identical. All software (besides win10) is identical. I upgraded all drivers and restarted many times. I might have to go back to Win7 if that's the only way to geta good signal again but that seems crazy.

The blank area 3/4 over is where the change happens. You can see the signal going crazy afterwards.

https://i.ibb.co/BtYpC3f/wireless.jpg

It hasn't improved since I posted this

https://i.ibb.co/JkZTfYj/wireless-2.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
I figured it out finally. I have an Orbi daisy chained to be by the window to get the signal as close to my apt as possible. I got access, used a paper clip and reset everything. As I was rebooting it with the app on the phone I saw that my desktop was using the 5ghz channel. The laptop was on the 2.4 channel (and had a decent signal all week). It turns out that when I upgraded to Windows 10 on the desktop, either it or the wifi receiver decided to switch to 5ghz where before only 2.4 was being used.

Clearly, the 5ghz isn't strong enough to cross the gap from the house to my apt. I was able to go into the device settings and make the receiver ignore 5ghz and now my signal is beautiful.

shooby73

Honorable
Jun 25, 2016
3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4590
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded
Boot Mode: Legacy BIOS in UEFI

Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z97X-UD3H-CF
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

8054 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 [Display adapter]
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB [Display adapter]

↑ TP-LINK Wireless USB Adapter #2
Connection Speed:54 Mbps

High Definition Audio Device
Intel(R) Display Audio
Mia
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

**I don't have any info on the router because it is in my landlord's house. I do not have access to it.

shooby73

Honorable
Jun 25, 2016
update the chipset driver?

I updated the chipset driver, and the Driver OS. I got the latest drivers for the wireless receiver.

https://i.ibb.co/bHWYpFh/tuesday-internet.jpg

If you look at the graph it looks like it calmed down, but when I got home it reacted to my internet surfing. It froze a video momentarily and was slow to load email at 430 (then relaxed). At 545 i came back to the computer and it spiked again. the activity at 9 and beyond is me trying to play online with multiple reboots and driver installs. Internet games still have huge lag spikes. Still unplayable.

shooby73

Honorable
Jun 25, 2016
I figured it out finally. I have an Orbi daisy chained to be by the window to get the signal as close to my apt as possible. I got access, used a paper clip and reset everything. As I was rebooting it with the app on the phone I saw that my desktop was using the 5ghz channel. The laptop was on the 2.4 channel (and had a decent signal all week). It turns out that when I upgraded to Windows 10 on the desktop, either it or the wifi receiver decided to switch to 5ghz where before only 2.4 was being used.

Clearly, the 5ghz isn't strong enough to cross the gap from the house to my apt. I was able to go into the device settings and make the receiver ignore 5ghz and now my signal is beautiful.

Solution