[SOLVED] Upgrade Windows 7 from old computer to Windows 10 on new computer

PorscheBurrito

Honorable
Nov 22, 2015
I'm planning a new pc for my dad (parts for reference: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Td3bcT). He ran Windows 7, and I heard that the upgrade tool to get Windows 10 for free still works.

However, I'm wondering if I can use his Windows 7 key on his old computer to activate Windows 10 on the new computer. If so, what do I need to do?

If that cannot work, can I use a Windows 10 key on an old crappy laptop of mine and transfer it to the new computer? If so, what do I need to do?

Solution
you can try to use the win 7 key on a clean win 10 install. it may or may not work. pretty much 50/50 if it does or not.

you can also install win 7, get it activated with your key, and then do the win 10 upgrade over it. again 50/50 it will do the upgrade but it seems to work for many people.

you can try to transfer the win 10 from your laptop if it is a non OEM key. create a windows account for your dad, attach the key to it and then transfer it to the new build if it will do it.

you got a few options and hopefully one will work.

if all else fails, you can run win 10 unactivated for free until you can get some kind of key to work on it or buy a new one.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can try to use the win 7 key on a clean win 10 install. it may or may not work. pretty much 50/50 if it does or not.

you can also install win 7, get it activated with your key, and then do the win 10 upgrade over it. again 50/50 it will do the upgrade but it seems to work for many people.

you can try to transfer the win 10 from your laptop if it is a non OEM key. create a windows account for your dad, attach the key to it and then transfer it to the new build if it will do it.

you got a few options and hopefully one will work.

if all else fails, you can run win 10 unactivated for free until you can get some kind of key to work on it or buy a new one.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I'm planning a new pc for my dad (parts for reference: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Td3bcT). He ran Windows 7, and I heard that the upgrade tool to get Windows 10 for free still works.

However, I'm wondering if I can use his Windows 7 key on his old computer to activate Windows 10 on the new computer. If so, what do I need to do?

If that cannot work, can I use a Windows 10 key on an old crappy laptop of mine and transfer it to the new computer? If so, what do I need to do?
From the laptop, probably not.
Let me rephrase that: You'd need to upgrade that laptop to Win 10, and then possibly transfer that license to a new system.

From the old desktop, possibly.

You have nothing to lose by trying it.
If it works, great.
If it fails, you simply have an Unactivated WIn 10 install.