[SOLVED] Upgrade Windows 7 to 10 - must have and how to

Jan 11, 2020
Hi there, i'm new here and want to discuss some IT topics with you. simultaneouslyissues I plan to improve my English. So please be humanly with me.

So, to the actual topic...

My father in law has a desktop PC with Windows 7. He does just easy things with his PC... Internet banking, word, Excel, mailing and googling :) no rocket science!

After the news, that no more update for w7 appear, he had some panic in his eyes and ask me for the further procedure.

In my opinion, it's not priority 1 to upgrade w7 to w10. So I recommend him, to stay on w7 first of all. Do you know some additional software to keep the security on w7. He has always installed some standard virus software (Avira I think).

Step 2 Is to upgrade to w10. Will the the installed software on w7 also available on w10 after the normal upgrade function or do you recommend a hard reset with fully new installation of w10?

Thank you and sorry for my English :)

Solution
Hi there, i'm new here and want to discuss some IT topics with you. simultaneouslyissues I plan to improve my English. So please be humanly with me.

My father in law has a desktop PC with Windows 7. He does just easy things with his PC... Internet banking, word, Excel, mailing and googling :) no rocket science!

After the news, that no more update for w7 appear, he had some panic in his eyes and ask me for the further procedure.

In my opinion, it's not priority 1 to upgrade w7 to w10. So I recommend him, to stay on w7 first of all. Do you know some additional software to keep the security on w7. He has always installed some standard virus software (Avira I think).

Step 2 Is to upgrade to w10. Will the...

Step 2 Is to upgrade to w10. Will the the installed software on w7 also available on w10 after the normal upgrade function or do you recommend a hard reset with fully new installation of w10?

Thank you and sorry for my English :)
Step 2 is what you should do, however, you should find out what the specs of his system is to find out if it can run Win10. While the official minimum specs of 10 are the same as 7, personal experience has found that you need more than that to run it well, especially RAM.

In terms of the upgrade it should preserve all the data, but make a backup of the system beforehand. In theory you still might be able to do the free upgrade path by downloading the Win 10 update assistant and creating a bootable ISO from it. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant You would then boot to the ISO and choose upgrade and see if it will still work for free.

Solution
Option 2.

What also seems to usually work is to use the Windows 10 media creation tool, and use it's option of "upgrade this PC now". Usually it will carry over your programs and files if you select that option, unless there's a program that is not compatible.

Also, be aware, I know he's using avira, if he's using the free one, Windows 10 now comes with Windows defender installed by default. I used to be a big Avast fan, but began using Windows defender for the sake of simplicity. It seems to function fine and does not affect things most of the time. So you may check into that.

TRENDING THREADS