nxnje

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
Hello everyone.
I hope this is the right section to post in.
I'm fighting with myself as i want to upgrade my pc but i have a limited budget of 500 euros (around) even 600 if i have to be honest but not over that.
Actually i have:
  • i7-4770 (non-k) with stock cooler
  • 8gb ram single channel
  • asus h87m
  • gtx 1060 6gb
  • zalman r1 case
  • corsair cx550m as PSU

I play with my monitor OC'ed to 74Hz, but i won't be sad to upgrade one day to a 144hz one, hope when i get my degree to get one.
For now, i just want to upgrade my pc.

I don't know which things should i buy personally.
Some people said me to sell my trio(cpu+ram+mb) but i really cannot find people who wants them, they just want the cpu around 80-90 euros.
With those 90 euros i would reach 590, from the 500 starting, so i'll have like 600 euros.

In any case, i struggle playing Battlefield 1/V, PUBG, Apex Legends (which is personally frustrating as i love them) and i seriously can't find a workaround to play at my best with my config as i drop many fps even in 720p. I even got fps drops in Team Fortress 2 and CSGO and it's seriously annoying.

What would you tip me?
I had so much time to think about a Ryzen 2600+2060 combo but i don't know if i could do even better.

Solution
Yep, it certainly would do. A heatsink is still a heatsink - and it isn't a small one like you get in the really budget motherboards. For overclocking, the money would be better in a new cooler.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Are you monitoring CPU/GPU/RAM utilization in-game?
Personally, I'd look to a GPU & monitor upgrade and additional RAM - a 4770 is still a very respectable CPU in 2019 and 4 cores/8 threads should remain viable for some time yet.

However, if you're monitoring utilization and your CPU is maxing out (which I doubt), then that changes things.

Do you have an SSD?

To give you an idea:

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Patriot Signature 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€36.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Patriot Burst 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€30.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Video Card (€369.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2458-mhd 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor (€164.74 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €601.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-29 17:27 CEST+0200

Although I'd try to find additional DDR3 used for cheap (8GB should be doable for ~20EUR)

nxnje

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
I know it's necroposting but i have been on vacancy and forgot activating notification.
I have bough a ryzen 5 3600 and gonna buy a RX5700.
I might need some help choosing the motherboard and the gpu, for the motherboard i've opened a dedicated thread if you wanna help again.
That monitor seems pretty good anyway.

nxnje

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
The MSI B450 Tomahawk would be a good choice. It's cheap, high quality, and supports MSI Flashback, which can be used to enable Ryzen 3000 support without the need for a compatible CPU to do the update.
My big doubt is if i could save 30$ on the tomahawk buying a Gaming plus B450 which has a smaller heatsink.
Which kind of impact would a different heatsink have?
Thanks a lot for the help.

nxnje

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
It should make no difference at all. There is almost no chance that you'd max out either of their temperatures on the VRM (what that heatsink is for - delivers power to CPU). It would also make a good choice.
Even overclocking? Do you think i will not have problems? I'm saving on the motherboard so i can get a better cooler (freezer esports 34 duo)

nxnje

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
Yep, it certainly would do. A heatsink is still a heatsink - and it isn't a small one like you get in the really budget motherboards. For overclocking, the money would be better in a new cooler.
Thanks a lot for the help.
Would u buy the freezer 34 duo as well or there's something similar priced which is better? 40 euros budget, i buy ob Amazon.it as i'm from Italy.
Thank you again!