Question Upgrade without losing software

Apr 1, 2019
I have an old Dell PC that runs an older commercial vinyl cutter. The cutter is a high quality Graphtec and in great shape, but PC is old. The cutter runs off a parallel port and the cutter software is no longer supported. It has Windows XP Professional - Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz 2.99 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM. Is it possible to upgrade the components without losing everything? I have years of designs and I want to get back into using it - purchasing a new cutter/plotter is not an option at this time. Other than the parallel port, it only has one working USB port. If so, is there someone in the Cincinnati area?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What do you need 'upgraded' about it? I would assume software of that era is not going to be particularly resource hungry?

You could upgrade CPU/RAM on the platform, to a point - but keeping a parallel port natively onboard is impossible on modern(ish) consumer-level hardware. There are addon cards etc, that allow you to have a parallel port these days, but would necessitate backing up all your data/designs* etc, and would be more complex than just upgrade and keep X.

*However, you should be implementing routine (preferrably automated) backup schedules regardless. If you don't want to lose designs etc, then you should have them backed up.