[SOLVED] Upgrade Wraith Spire to Wraith Prism?

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hello,

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X user here.
I want to upgrade it's stock cooler to Wraith Prism because it is a low-profile cooler, capable of cooling CPU and motherboard components as well.

It will cost me $41 dollars though.
I have found low-profile coolers of other brands but they cost more.

I don't game much but Wraith Spire is a bit loud when ramping up. I thought Wraith Prism cooler will keep my CPU's temps lower, hence less noise from fan.

Solution
D
You are going to get that ramping up and down noise no matter WHAT. That's how Ryzens work. They spike up in temps with the simplest of actions due to cores waking up from sleep.

You will experience this with any cooler, I am experiencing it with my NH-D15.

To fix it, set a fan curve. I have my cooler only go between 800 and 1100 RPM. The noise is completely gone and thermal performance is still fantastic because Noctua.
I have a 3600X and at first I used a wraith prism. Unfortunately you are going to get the ramping up and down with that too, it drove me insane! Dont get me wrong, it done it's job, my cpu never got too hot but it sounds like a jet engine! I finally swapped it out for a be quiet dark rock slim and the difference was huge! (in terms of sound,i cant hear it over my case fans and my cpu runs cooler.)

Reactions: Boris_yo

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I have a 3600X and at first I used a wraith prism. Unfortunately you are going to get the ramping up and down with that too, it drove me insane!

I adjusted fan curve profile manually and applied custom Ryzen optimized Windows Power Scheme. My idle temperature is now lower and there are no more ramps up and down without any performance loss.

Reactions: kurdtnz
D

Deleted member 2720853

You are going to get that ramping up and down noise no matter WHAT. That's how Ryzens work. They spike up in temps with the simplest of actions due to cores waking up from sleep.

You will experience this with any cooler, I am experiencing it with my NH-D15.

To fix it, set a fan curve. I have my cooler only go between 800 and 1100 RPM. The noise is completely gone and thermal performance is still fantastic because Noctua.

Solution
Agree with TheNerdyGlaceon above. I would just like to add...

If you have a better CPU cooler, then you can also afford to "delay" short fans speeds spikes in BIOS fan curve settings. Meaning, if CPU temperature raises only for few milliseconds, fans don't need to spin up/down all the time -because (good) cooler can accumulate those short temperature spikes.
And second, most decent CPU coolers have bigger fan, which doesn't (need to) rotate at that high speeds (compared to small fans on small stock coolers), which further reduces overall noise.

TRENDING THREADS