[SOLVED] Upgrade?

Oct 20, 2019
I built my computer all the way back in 2015 and I only just made my first upgrade since then, today. I replaced my GTX 970 GPU with a GTX 1070. I'm wondering what kind of upgrades would be most valuable and have the biggest impact on gaming performance. I play games like Rainbow Six Siege and will be playing the new Modern Warfare. I ran BO4 on max settings and averaged around 60 frames.
Current specs are:
CPU: Intel i5-4690k 3.5 GHz 4 core
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA 1150
Memory: G. Skill Areas Series 18 GB DDR3-1600
GPU: Geforce GTX 1070 8Gb GDDR5
Monitor: Asus 1920x1080 144 Hz
Power: 750 W

Any upgrade recommendations for the biggest boost? I'm looking to spend less money for greater quality :). I don't exactly have a budget, I'm just trying to do research on improvements. Also, it's been an incredible amount of time since I really messed with my computer and I've forgotten a lot of the terminology so please try to make comments understandable to a dummy like me. Is there any other specs you need to know?

Solution
At this point there really is not going to be an upgrade that makes a massive difference.
Next up would be a new processor, motherboard, and RAM, but that upgrade likely wont have as large of an impact as say a new GPU. However, your 4690k is basically capped out with your current rig, so processor has to come first.
At this point there really is not going to be an upgrade that makes a massive difference.
Next up would be a new processor, motherboard, and RAM, but that upgrade likely wont have as large of an impact as say a new GPU. However, your 4690k is basically capped out with your current rig, so processor has to come first.

Reactions: TeriyakiShak
Solution
Oct 20, 2019
Good to know. I figured my processor would be next but wasn't sure which is why I came here. What CPU do you recommend upgrading to? I don't really understand the difference between them all, or the GPUs either to be honest.
Also 1 more question. Does it make sense to run 2 identical GPUs or just straight up get a better card? Does 2 gtx 1070 = 2x GPU power?

Something like a modern R5 or R7, or 9700k would be a substantial upgrade.
Running two GPUs is never results in double performance. In games that support it, its between about 40-80%. Most games dont support it though. So a single, better card is the way to go these days.

IluvGamingAU

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
Is your cpu overclocked? It might be worth doing a small overclock or investing in a solid cpu cooler to get some extra performance. Otherwise, yeah, I would say cpu on the upgrade.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
I built my computer all the way back in 2015 and I only just made my first upgrade since then, today. I replaced my GTX 970 GPU with a GTX 1070. I'm wondering what kind of upgrades would be most valuable and have the biggest impact on gaming performance. I play games like Rainbow Six Siege and will be playing the new Modern Warfare. I ran BO4 on max settings and averaged around 60 frames.
Current specs are:
CPU: Intel i5-4690k 3.5 GHz 4 core
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA 1150
Memory: G. Skill Areas Series 18 GB DDR3-1600
GPU: Geforce GTX 1070 8Gb GDDR5
Monitor: Asus 1920x1080 144 Hz
Power: 750 W

Any upgrade recommendations for the biggest boost? I'm looking to spend less money for greater quality :). I don't exactly have a budget, I'm just trying to do research on improvements. Also, it's been an incredible amount of time since I really messed with my computer and I've forgotten a lot of the terminology so please try to make comments understandable to a dummy like me. Is there any other specs you need to know?
Women of my thoughts would of course upgrading the cpu. Upgrading it to a processor with more cores or threads or clock speed and whatnot would give a pretty nice boost. You could upgrade your motherboard to a different socket if you wanted, and that could make way for some other cpus and stuff.

Oct 20, 2019
Hm. I'll have to do some research on the motherboard socket stuff, although I dread taking my computer apart.

I realize my cpu is able to be overclocked but I've never tried that before. In the future, I'll probably just get a normal cpu that is unable to be overclocked if it's cheaper. I literally just upgraded my GPU which was holding me back before, so I'll have to run some games later to see how my cpu is performing. I'll also check out how overclocking works.

Thanks guys