[SOLVED] Upgrade

Jun 6, 2020
Hi everyone!

So I currently have a PC setup that I don't know what I can do to upgrade. I usually use it for gaming(GTA, APEX and PUBG) and sometimes work. I tried to play recent games but I'm not really satisfied with how it looks like so I'm looking into upgrading but I just don't know how to really proceed since I have limited budget on hand.

Budget: $400

Proci: Intel G4560
Mobo: h110M-k
RAM: 2x4 8GB 2400mhz
HDD: 1TB
SSD: 256GB
GPU: GTX 760 2GB

Only thing I know is I could still use my HDD and SSD. GPU was a just from a friend that had it sleeping in a cupboard. LoL. I know the setup looks like trash which is why I want to upgrade. I'm not after RBG but rather performance. I already have a monitor and KB/M so whats on the inside is what I would really need help with.

Should I just throw/sell out the mobo and proci get a Ryzen instead given my budget?

Last edited:
Solution
What is your budget?

I think you now have a relatively balanced gamer .
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run this tess:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
If you need a cpu upgrade, do you need better single thread performance or do you need...
a b450 board (or b550, though they are likely to be more expensive than b450 when they launch in 10 days)
a ryzen 3 3300X (or 3600, as budget would allow)
and maybe 2 more 4 gig sticks.

this will boost your fps, but not by that much. the problem is, your cpu is a very basic one, and upgrading your gpu means it will bottleneck the gpu, but upgrading cpu doesnt impact fps as much. depending on what game, you might see much higher performance, but in others maybe minimal to none improvement.

if you could squeeze for a little more money, maybe you can this:
a b450 board
a 3100 (or 3300X as budget would allow)
and a new gpu, maybe a gtx 1650 super/1660 super as budget would allow
and get more ram if you need it in the future.

Jun 6, 2020
Definitely the avenue im looking at. And yes, the cpu has been my dilemma ever since I thought of upgrading. I clearly did not look into my upgrade path.

Do you think getting a R3 2200g would be a good starting point so I could get the extra physical cores for the cpu and so I could squeeze in the gpu?

What is your budget?

I think you now have a relatively balanced gamer .
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run this tess:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
If you need a cpu upgrade, do you need better single thread performance or do you need multithread performance?
Your G4560, for example has single thread performance comparable to a 2200G, but the total performance of the 2200g is much better.
The strongest processor your motherboard supports is a i7-7700K.
Not that I am recommending that upgrade. It still costs about $300 on ebay.
But, you probably can buy a i7-6700K for $200 which would give you 8 threads and a better single thread performance.

If you upgrade to a current gen intel or ryzen processor, you are also going to need a new motherboard..
For example, the I3-10100 has 8 threads and is even stronger than the I7-7700K
Here is a review:
It costs $139:
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i3-10100-core-i3-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118138
A lga1200 motherboard might be as little as $80
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145206?&quicklink=true

If you need a graphics card upgrade, you are probably ok with your current psu.
If it runs a GTX760, it can run a card as good as a GTX1660 super. A $230 card.

Solution
Definitely the avenue im looking at. And yes, the cpu has been my dilemma ever since I thought of upgrading. I clearly did not look into my upgrade path.

Do you think getting a R3 2200g would be a good starting point so I could get the extra physical cores for the cpu and so I could squeeze in the gpu?
r3 2200g would be a bad buy.
3100 or 3300X would be better
or a 1600 af. it has more cores than the 3100 and 3300X but slower ones.
meaning in some games it will be faster than them and in others much slower.