[SOLVED] Upgrade?

ragnarok0274

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
Hello all!
I have a question:
What GPU should I get for an upgrade?

I currently have a Asus B350-F Gaming mobo, R5 3600, 16gb Teamgroup Pro Dark 3200, A Thermaltake cooler that does a good job, a Thermaltake TR2 600W, and an EVGA 650 Ti Boost.
I have a second EVGA 650 Ti Boost. Should I get an X-series chipset mobo or get a better GPU?
I got the two graphics cards from a build on the side of the road. An upgrade from my Gigabyte GTX 550.
I also have a Gigabyte GeForce 9400 GT.

Upgrade or reuse?

Solution
I was planning to get a Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) not only for its SLI support, but also for its internal USB C header, inbuilt Bluetooth and WiFi, and allowing for using all SATA ports and M.2 slots (I think?).
I have a lot of storage devices.
Using 2 GPUs was just a bonus.
NO
just don't

First
SLi is dead. shouldn't be a factor. no card you will buy has support for SLi. and even if it did, games no longer get sli profiles, so in a year or 2, all games will not work with sli.

second
Lots of other boards support bluetooth and wifi, that cost a third the price. You can also just, add wifi and bluetooth to any board, with internal pci-e or external usb cards.

third
where have you heard that other boards not allow you to use...
I'm not sure why you mention getting an X series chipset, but if you want it for SLI support, stop.
SLi is dead for now, and running 2 old, low-end GPU's at that speed is not worth anything.

Get a used gtx 970 for like 80$ off ebay for the best price to performance used gpu.

the gt 9400 is as useless as they get.

Hello all!
I have a question:
What GPU should I get for an upgrade?

I currently have a Asus B350-F Gaming mobo, R5 3600, 16gb Teamgroup Pro Dark 3200, A Thermaltake cooler that does a good job, a Thermaltake TR2 600W, and an EVGA 650 Ti Boost.
I have a second EVGA 650 Ti Boost. Should I get an X-series chipset mobo or get a better GPU?
I got the two graphics cards from a build on the side of the road. An upgrade from my Gigabyte GTX 550.
I also have a Gigabyte GeForce 9400 GT.

Upgrade or reuse?

Hard pass on all your old GPUs.

NVidia's second-cheapest new desktop GPU (the GTX 1650 Super) is available brand new on newegg for as low as $170, and is almost three times as powerful as your old 650 Ti.

Results on userbenchmark here

ragnarok0274

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
I was planning to get a Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) not only for its SLI support, but also for its internal USB C header, inbuilt Bluetooth and WiFi, and allowing for using all SATA ports and M.2 slots (I think?).

I'm assuming userbenchmark isn't perfectly accurate, but I've only owned a handful of GPUs so I don't personally know how powerful most cards are compared to others. Isn't userbenchmark an acceptable way of getting a ballpark estimate of how GPUs compare to one another? If not, what do you use?
I just, sort of understand how cards fit in. Watch more reviews and look up benchmarks. after a while you'll get where they stand next to each other in performance.

NO
just don't

First
SLi is dead. shouldn't be a factor. no card you will buy has support for SLi. and even if it did, games no longer get sli profiles, so in a year or 2, all games will not work with sli.

second
Lots of other boards support bluetooth and wifi, that cost a third the price. You can also just, add wifi and bluetooth to any board, with internal pci-e or external usb cards.

third
where have you heard that other boards not allow you to use all m.2 and sata ports?
Any board will let you use all it's sata or m.2 ports. Yes, higher end boards sometimes have more of those ports.

forth
Even mid end boards have the usb header nowadays.

Solution