[SOLVED] Upgrade?

Burner1061

Reputable
May 15, 2020
What would the difference be if I upgraded my AMD A8-5500 to an AMD A10-5800K with a GeForce GT 1030? Will there be a noticeable difference?

Should I upgrade the GT 1030?

And would a 240GB Kingston SSD be a better boot drive than my 1TB 7200RPM Barracuda?

Thanks!!

Solution
Difference in performance.

You'll get slightly improved performance in most things, in the area of 5-10%. Whether that's useful or not depends on what you're doing; both are basic, entry-level APUs from a decade ago and both of these are going to inevitably perform poorly in any kind of modern application that's even a little bit taxing. If you need a meaningful upgrade, you'll need a far more significant overhaul.

DSzymborski

Titan
Difference in performance.

You'll get slightly improved performance in most things, in the area of 5-10%. Whether that's useful or not depends on what you're doing; both are basic, entry-level APUs from a decade ago and both of these are going to inevitably perform poorly in any kind of modern application that's even a little bit taxing. If you need a meaningful upgrade, you'll need a far more significant overhaul.

Reactions: helper800
Solution

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Provided your motherboard and current OS supported UEFI (without which they cannot support anything much newer than GeForce 6xx/7xx era stuff, or so I hear), a GT 1030 would be a good step above what either of these APU's had, even though it would still barely handle most recent games at low graphic settings at best, if at all.

What do you use your computer for?

A truly significant upgrade would retain only the case at this point, though any SSD of reasonable quality, even SATA ones, would offer a good speedup over a mechanical hard disk drive as your boot drive.

TRENDING THREADS