Question Upgradeability and best price to performance?

Trumpet227

Prominent
Jan 31, 2022
Hey community,
Lately, I've been wanting to upgrade bits and pieces of my PC, and I want to start with my processor. I will include my system specs down below once I'm finished, but currently I have an I5 7600K CPU paired with a GTX 980. I'm not sure if this is a decent pairing, but it has been doing me good ever since I bought the system. I don't want to buy a new motherboard for a new CPU; I just want to find a better CPU in that range.
Here are my specs.

i5-7600K

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2133 Corsair Vengeance RAM

ASUS Strix Geforce GTX 980 4GB

Crucial P1 1TB nvme SSD

AK620 dual tower cooler.

ASUS Prime Z270-A

Thermaltake Toughpower 550W 80+ Gold

Please note that my system is decently old.

above CPU support list says

Core i7-7700K (4.2GHz, 4C, HT, L3:8M,Intel HD 600 series , 91W, rev.B0)

Up to you if that is sensible.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
right a 7600 to a 7700 is not worth it at all.

you need a new platform to get a better cpu worth having. plenty of ddr4 options so you can reuse your ram. AM4 from AMD or any of the new intel cpu's with a ddr4 mobo.

it would be a good start, then you can upgrade the gpu down the line as money is available. but it would be a waste of money to buy a 7700k as an "upgrade" since it really is not one.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey community,
Lately, I've been wanting to upgrade bits and pieces of my PC, and I want to start with my processor. I will include my system specs down below once I'm finished, but currently I have an I5 7600K CPU paired with a GTX 980. I'm not sure if this is a decent pairing, but it has been doing me good ever since I bought the system. I don't want to buy a new motherboard for a new CPU; I just want to find a better CPU in that range.
Here are my specs.

i5-7600K

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2133 Corsair Vengeance RAM

ASUS Strix Geforce GTX 980 4GB

Crucial P1 1TB nvme SSD

AK620 dual tower cooler.

ASUS Prime Z270-A

Thermaltake Toughpower 550W 80+ Gold

Please note that my system is decently old.
I agree if your gaming you should be looking at selling your PC and doing a complete rebuild.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I agree. Not much in the way of upgrades for a 7 year old PC.