[SOLVED] Upgradeable Gaming PC Help

Ggaabbee55

Reputable
Dec 1, 2016
Hello Everyone,

Trying to help a friend out with building a new gaming pc. The budget is $1000 - $1200 (Pref $1k) however instead of just being a budget build I would like for it to be upgradable in the future for easily removable / accessible parts such as GPU, CPU, RAM. However for things not so easy to replace such as a motherboard or PC case, not so sure about the PSU if you can just swap wires plugged into old PSU to new PSU (basically box switch). But I imagine the fully completed build within 1 - 1 and half years for extreme gaming. I would assume invest heavily into an X570 MB, Solid Full Tower and strong PSU. Although i'm not so sure and that is why I am here.

Appreciate your time thanks.

Solution
So for the PSU, no you can't just swap them (unless they are the same make and model) as every one uses different cables. But if you buy a good PSU it should last longer then the PC. A good PSU doenst just mean brand, but brand and model. The Corsair CX is a decent budget one but 20 dollars more can get you a much better Corsair TX or Seasonic FOCUS Gold etc.

As far as a motherboard X570 really doesn't gain you anything. PCIe4 is nice in principle but I don't see the bandwidth actually needed for most consumer setups for years to come, again probably outside the life of the PC. So save money and get a X470/B450 (Either with a factory compatible BIOS, or a BIOS that can be updated with a CPU here is a list or one of the B550...
So for the PSU, no you can't just swap them (unless they are the same make and model) as every one uses different cables. But if you buy a good PSU it should last longer then the PC. A good PSU doenst just mean brand, but brand and model. The Corsair CX is a decent budget one but 20 dollars more can get you a much better Corsair TX or Seasonic FOCUS Gold etc.

As far as a motherboard X570 really doesn't gain you anything. PCIe4 is nice in principle but I don't see the bandwidth actually needed for most consumer setups for years to come, again probably outside the life of the PC. So save money and get a X470/B450 (Either with a factory compatible BIOS, or a BIOS that can be updated with a CPU here is a list or one of the B550 when they are released

ASUS (USB BIOS Flashback)

ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero (Wi-Fi AC)

ASUS Crosshair VII Hero

ASUS Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)

MSI (Flash BIOS Button) [
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE
]

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

MSI B450 Tomahawk

MSI B450-A Pro

MSI B450M Bazooka Plus

MSI B450M Gaming Plus

MSI B450M Mortar

MSI B450M Mortar Titanium

MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK

MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium

MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC

Cases again change but not very fast so again most likely the features of the case will last longer then the platform, if you want the latest then generally look at cases that have USB3/Type3/Thunderbolt etc

The Ryzen socket platform will last through next year and the new 10th gen Intels believe will be moving to a new socket, though I may be wrong.

Solution
Define 'easy'. With a CPU upgrade it would mean removing the cooler and CPU before installing the new one (with new thermal paste and a clean cooler). RAM will depend on how well you can get to the RAM slots, which may depend on whether the CPU cooler obscures its access. The graphics card is one of the easiest to replace.

Most of this doesn't have much to do with the budget of the build except the choice of case you use. Some will be easy to build in, some will be easier to build outside before installing the motherboard into the case.

Do NOT use cables from a different PSU for whatever new PSU you use. It can potentially ruin the system.

Ggaabbee55

Reputable
Dec 1, 2016

As far as a motherboard X570 really doesn't gain you anything. PCIe4 is nice in principle but I don't see the bandwidth actually needed for most consumer setups for years to come, again probably outside the life of the PC. So save money and get a X470/B450 (Either with a factory compatible BIOS, or a BIOS that can be updated with a CPU here is a list or one of the B550 when they are released

ASUS (USB BIOS Flashback)

ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero (Wi-Fi AC)

ASUS Crosshair VII Hero

ASUS Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)

MSI (Flash BIOS Button) [
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE
]

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

MSI B450 Tomahawk

MSI B450-A Pro

MSI B450M Bazooka Plus

MSI B450M Gaming Plus

MSI B450M Mortar

MSI B450M Mortar Titanium

MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK

MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium

MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC

Cases again change but not very fast so again most likely the features of the case will last longer then the platform, if you want the latest then generally look at cases that have USB3/Type3/Thunderbolt etc

The Ryzen socket platform will last through next year and the new 10th gen Intels believe will be moving to a new socket, though I may be wrong.
I appreciate the hasty and super informative reply ! I'll likely reccomend the X470 then. Also forgot to mention he plans on getting the Ryzen 7 3900x in the future along with a 2080. Thanks again !

Ggaabbee55

Reputable
Dec 1, 2016
Define 'easy'. With a CPU upgrade it would mean removing the cooler and CPU before installing the new one (with new thermal paste and a clean cooler). RAM will depend on how well you can get to the RAM slots, which may depend on whether the CPU cooler obscures its access. The graphics card is one of the easiest to replace.

Most of this doesn't have much to do with the budget of the build except the choice of case you use. Some will be easy to build in, some will be easier to build outside before installing the motherboard into the case.

Do NOT use cables from a different PSU for whatever new PSU you use. It can potentially ruin the system.
Easy as in not having to remove too many wire such as a full MB replacement or PSU replacement. CPU swaps aren't too bad and reapplication of thermal paste isn't too bad.