[SOLVED] upgraded 9600k to 9700k and freezes and hangs only in game

spenserhill64

Commendable
Sep 8, 2017
Hey guys, I just upgraded from 9600k to a 9700k and updated my bios to the right version to be sure it wasn't that but I'm getting a system wide hard freeze with hanging audio ONLY in game and the specific game does not matter. Only details I'm able to get out of event viewer and reliability logger are critical event 41 kernel power at the time of crash. My setup has worked flawlessly before the upgrade and weirdly enough the first night I had the 9700k installed it worked great all night, this was 2 days ago, since that night i've had consistent crashes like what i described before. I dont know if the power draw is too great during full gpu and cpu load and my knowledge is limited on these kinds of things. Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. All drivers system wide are up to date and prime95 stress test was passed I monitored temps during the test and the hottest I saw my cpu get was 84 which is fine to my knowledge. File scan through command prompt didn't give me anything either so I dont believe its corruption. Thank you again for any help or suggestions. Rig can be on all day and surf the web or watch netflix just fine, its only in game and only under maximum load that it crashes.
i7-9700k
nzxt kraken x62 cooler
32 gb of trident ram set to 2133 mhz after bios update
msi z390 gaming edge ac mobo
RX 5700 with latest drivers
650 watt 80 plus gold supernova
1tb intel 660 m.2 ssd

Solution
Try reseating the CPU and RAM. When you remove the CPU look for small dirt particles and bent pins in the socket. Give CPU a slight wiggle when you drop it back in. Make sure AIO block is putting acquitted downwards force on the CPU (and don't to over tighten it either.)

spenserhill64

Commendable
Sep 8, 2017
So i cleared the cmos and nothing changed, still got a hard crash as soon as i got into a heavy load in game, one thing i should mention is my room mate has almost an identical setup to mine the only difference is his gpu and psu, i did notice that my mobo has a 4 pin cpu power socket next to the 8 pin, i'm only using the 8 pin and my room mate is also only using the 8 pin but he has a way bigger psu than i do, could there be something there? getting ready to try reseating the ram with just two sticks

spenserhill64

Commendable
Sep 8, 2017
update, the ram did not make a difference either, same crash, thank you again for trying to help, could that extra 4 pin cpu connector be the issue? Like I said my room mate has almost the same setup and he also doesnt use the extra 4 pin cpu power socket however he has a 1200 watt psu, he hasnt had any problems for months.

spenserhill64

Commendable
Sep 8, 2017
Still testing and no success yet, something that did pop up the one time I got a bluescreen for one of the crashes it said CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT, I have nothing overclocked in the system, but i understand that has something to do with multicore cpu's?

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Critical event 41 kernel power normally indicates sudden shutdown. The usual suspects are either a power supply that is unable to provide enough power or overheating. Under load, the 9700k will draw more power than the 9600k, so the PSU could be the culprit.
84 degree in prime95 is ok, but still a little hot. in game, the cpu does not work as hard, but the GPU does create a lot of heat that can affect cpu temp. you could try to run both prime95 and FurMark simultaneously to see the temps when stressing CPU and GPU at the same time.

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
an other easy test to see if overheating is the culprit is to open the side of the computer case and put a fan that blows air directly in the computer while gaming and see if the crashes happen still or not.

haseeb98ahm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
Try reseating the CPU and RAM. When you remove the CPU look for small dirt particles and bent pins in the socket. Give CPU a slight wiggle when you drop it back in. Make sure AIO block is putting acquitted downwards force on the CPU (and don't to over tighten it either.)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS