Question Upgraded CPU and MOBO now slower

Maxoblah99

Reputable
May 13, 2020
Hey guys I hope this is the correct area. I recently upgraded just my CPU and Mobo to a 8700k and an Asus rog strix z370 e gaming. My cpu @ 5.0 1.31vcore. the rest of my pc is, evga sc2 1080ti(OC to 80core and 120mem),16gb 3000mhz, samsung 850 evo ssd. hd, 4k monitor, watercooling, windows 10pro. I use msi afterburners OSD to view stats in game. Here is wats going on. I use my pc mostly for fps games. As soon as I installed the new mobo and cpu I fire up my games to see how much faster they would be.I run every game in 4k ultra. I tested BF5, the fps was 70. For BF1 I had 75 fps. Doom eternal I had 108. Battlefield 4 I had 89. I also saw that my CPU usage level was very low. In BF5 it was at 40%. The computer was a lot slower than with my old cpu an mobo.I I tried resetting the bios, that didnt help. I reinstalled my gpu.I have the lastest nviia driver, the lastet bios firmware. Installed all the lastest mobo drivers. All my temps are fine,I dont have a single other issue with my computer. My old mobo is a MSI z270 PC Mate. My cpu was 7700k @4.9. Before my cpu usage is higher and all my framerates are too. Before on BF5 is got 110fps(now 70, BF1 beofre 104(now 75), Doom eternal before 120(now 103) and on BF4 before 120(now 89). So I reinstalled windows. After that I tried all my games again. This time BF5 had 80% cpu usage. All the other games also had a little higher usage. The fps for every game was a little hgiher but stil not as high as before. I had a dram led come on. I ran memtest 86. I had a bunch of errors only in test 6, cpu 8. I replaced the ram with 16gb 3600. Ran memtest again, no errors. I really hope that I don't have to replace my cpu or mobo.

Zie000

Reputable
Jun 18, 2016
Would be very surprised if you had to replace CPU and motherboard. Have you tried any only CPU benchmarks? If you benchmark and the usage still hovers around 40-50% it could be VRM problems with the motherboard. If it works just fine and gives you a normal result around what other 8700k users @ 5.0 are getting it could be windows limiting resources to your game, which you could try and change through changing the priority of your game to realtime instead of normal. Also, make sure your GPU wasnt overclocked before and is no longer. That could also cause this issue.

Maxoblah99

Reputable
May 13, 2020
Would be very surprised if you had to replace CPU and motherboard. Have you tried any only CPU benchmarks? If you benchmark and the usage still hovers around 40-50% it could be VRM problems with the motherboard. If it works just fine and gives you a normal result around what other 8700k users @ 5.0 are getting it could be windows limiting resources to your game, which you could try and change through changing the priority of your game to realtime instead of normal. Also, make sure your GPU wasnt overclocked before and is no longer. That could also cause this issue.
I did prime95 and cpuz stress tests and those go to 100%. I'll retest a benchmark. My gpu has had the same overclock the whole time. Ill try changing the priority. Also I have power options to performance. In Nvidia control i have the power option set to max performance. In the bios i have the cpu set to max performance.

Maxoblah99

Reputable
May 13, 2020
So on a different forum someone suggested :
"Possibly this is due to a botched windoze install. Clean the drive with diskpart, do not connect to the net, install windoze,load all system drivers, then the video drivers from a flash drive. "

So I did that set everything up again. Tested and it was no different than before. Also since i got the cpu/mobo the startup times have been very long. fast boot has been on the whole time.

TRENDING THREADS