Upgraded CPU and now computer won't POST or beep. Fans spin and lights turn on but PC won't work.

expersist

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017
Hello,

My computer has been running great for a few years now but I wanted an upgrade and ran into issues.

My specs are as follows:

Gigabyte GTX 980 ti

i3 6100 to i7 7700k

H100M-s2h-GSM Motherboard LGA1151

Kingston HyperX 16 GB DDR4 RAM (2x8)

850 Watt EVGA GQ 80+ Gold Certified

250 GB SSD and 1 TB Hard Drive

Corsair case with ThermalTake Riing Fans

So basically everything has been going well until I decided to get a new CPU. After upgrading it I realized that my motherboard needed an update to run Kaby Lake. That is what I attributed the issue of my computer not booting up to. However, I put my old processor in and promptly updated the BIOS of my motherboard and made sure that it supported the processor, which it says that it is supported. The fact that my computer booted perfectly also verified that my computer's components all work. However, once I installed the new CPU again I ran into the same problem. Everything was installed correctly and there were no bent pins. That didn't stop my computer from turning on, with the fans lighting up and my motherboard light turning on as well. However, the screen remained blank, there were no beeps, the computer didn't post, and after about 30 seconds the computer shut back off. 5 seconds later it turned back on to turn off yet again in 30 seconds, making a loop that kept going until I pressed and held the power button. I made sure to clear the CMOS and yet the issue remains. Funny thing that I noticed was that neither my keyboard nor mouse lit up, but my RGB mousepad turned on and cycled colors unless I shut off my power supply with the button or unplugged my PC from the wall, even though my computer was off.

If anyone at all has any idea what could be wrong, please tell me. I have tried just about everything from the list of things that can prevent your computer from posting and none of them seem to apply to me. Thanks for your help in advance.

expersist

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017

I already updated the BIOS to the latest version and my OS is Windows 10 Pro. Hope this helps. That is the problem as I have already done those things with no luck.

expersist

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017

So you are saying that I should switch back to my old processor in order to revert to an older BIOS version? I just don't understand how a newer version could cause issues and would prefer not to have to go through the whole process of switching CPUs back and forth. Can you explain to me how that could cause an issue like this and/or link someone who experienced similar results?

Here is the link I recalled:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3482519/booting-cpu.html#xtor=EPR-8809
sorry, it does not refer to your motherboard, but the op here fixed his issue.
I would not have ever expected that the most current bios would not work.

expersist

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017

Thanks for the insight. I did some Googling around with the search terms "Kaby Lake, Intel 7th Gen, BIOS Update, latest, not working, revert, etc." and was unable to find any relevant information that had to do with an issue like this with Kaby Lake, which if it was I am sure someone else would have written about it. However, I will keep it in mind as a last resort, should there be nothing else left to try. I can also always put my old CPU back should the need arise as that is a proven configuration. I have tried everything in this post http:// and was unable to get anything to work. Next thing to try is reseting the CMOS again. The last time I did it was by shorting the pins which is a viable method and I didn't think to do it by removing the battery as my computer had been unplugged from the wall with a turned off power supply for a whole day at that point and I had held the power button as some said may drain the battery. Once I turned it on from there the computer did a quick, one second cycle with a quick flash of lights, then shut off, then turned on and proceeded with the described issue. Because of this, I thought that the reset worked but I will try removing the battery just in case that is the problem. I will update once I've done that.

Also, in case it doesn't work I will test reverting the BIOS which will require switching back to my old CPU which will also allow me to test my computer, just in the case that I somehow managed to fry anything, which I highly doubt but I am running out of options. The CPU isn't much of a bottleneck as I run a 1440p monitor running st 165hz, so I think I may be able to manage should the need arise. If anyone can think of any other causes I will much appreciate it.