[SOLVED] Upgraded CPU and Ram for WORSE performance?

Feb 7, 2021
I recently upgraded my Intel i5-8400 cpu for an i7-9700k and got 2 more 8GB sticks of 3200mhz DDR4 RAM(note my original 2 sticks were 3000mhz). Right before my upgrade I updated my BIOS to the latest version and did a clean install of Windows 10. Once I installed my new components my PC booted normally and it recognized my new hardware right away. I downloaded Fortnite to benchmark and was barely getting 120fps on 1080p all low settings dx11. Is this just a bottle neck or is something wrong? I usually got over 200 frames in the same scenarios with only 16gb ram and the i5-8400
My specs are as follows:
MSI b360-A PRO motherboard
i7-9700k
gtx1060 6gb
32gb 3000mhz
250gb ssd (boot drive)
250gb ssd (game location)
evga 450w powersupply

Solution
It happened to others on this forum. That by installing a new CPU without re-installing Windows, the OS was still see-ing the old CPU.

Besides... re-installing Windows 10 takes 6-7 minutes 😃

I never said there wasn't a possibility that you can have issues but since it's ultra rare you just go ahead and try the OS before reinstalling it. You only do it if you see you have an issue like the one you just said.

Changing the board has a higher probability of having issues so people just recommend you reinstall the OS.

You think LinusTechTips, GamerNexus or JayTwoCents install Windows 10 every time they swap a CPU on the same board for benchmarking? They use the same OS for all the CPU that can work on a certain BIOS version. For...
Hi JWAT676.

Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers?

Did you do all Windows 10 updates? Did you install an old Windows 10 first?

Latest GPU drivers installed?

Since the 9700K does not come with a stock cooler did you re-use the i5-8400 CPU cooler on the 9700k?

Stock i5-8400 cooler is not good enough for a 9700K. It wasn't even good enough for a 8400.

It's probably thermal throttling if you're using the i5-8400 cooler.

Reactions: CountMike
It happened to others on this forum. That by installing a new CPU without re-installing Windows, the OS was still see-ing the old CPU.

Besides... re-installing Windows 10 takes 6-7 minutes 😃

I never said there wasn't a possibility that you can have issues but since it's ultra rare you just go ahead and try the OS before reinstalling it. You only do it if you see you have an issue like the one you just said.

Changing the board has a higher probability of having issues so people just recommend you reinstall the OS.

You think LinusTechTips, GamerNexus or JayTwoCents install Windows 10 every time they swap a CPU on the same board for benchmarking? They use the same OS for all the CPU that can work on a certain BIOS version. For example you can't from a 5600X to a 2600X on a motherboard that does not recommend you use an older CPU when you have the latest BIOS and downgrading the BIOS version is not recommended. So that would require another motherboard and for those specific CPU's/Mobo/BIOS combination you have to use another OS install.

But if you swap a 2600X to a 3600X to a 5600X on a X570 board with no issues with the BIOS using a 2600X on the latest BIOS version then the same OS can be used for the 3.

There is a very very low chance that a CPU swap when it can be done will give you an issue in the OS.

Reactions: Endre
Solution
Feb 7, 2021
Hi JWAT676.

Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers?

Did you do all Windows 10 updates? Did you install an old Windows 10 first?

Latest GPU drivers installed?

Since the 9700K does not come with a stock cooler did you re-use the i5-8400 CPU cooler on the 9700k?

Stock i5-8400 cooler is not good enough for a 9700K. It wasn't even good enough for a 8400.

It's probably thermal throttling if you're using the i5-8400 cooler.
I just installed the chipset drivers after seeing this. I also installed windows without doing updates to save time(I had already reinstalled once that day and wanted to get it over with). I installed the latest GeForce drivers. I used my be quiet! Dark Rock 4 for cooling and my temps are around 35c on idle to 70-75c while gaming.

Also, in my NZXT CAM software it says that my CPU's core clock is 3600mhz while the current frequency is around 4600mhz. I know that the base speed of a 9700k is 3.6Ghz, so does this mean my CPU is already overclocked?

Also, in my NZXT CAM software it says that my CPU's core clock is 3600mhz while the current frequency is around 4600mhz. I know that the base speed of a 9700k is 3.6Ghz, so does this mean my CPU is already overclocked?
Your motherboard doesn't support cpu overclocking.
i7-9700k base clock is 3.6Ghz. Max turbo clock is 4.9Ghz. It automatically increases frequency up to max turbo, if workload requires that and thermal/power limits allow it.

TRENDING THREADS