Question Upgraded CPU causing even lower FPS

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
I had just upgraded my cpu from a Ryzen 3 2200g to a Ryzen 3 3200g and I have noticed my FPS has been much worse. I did a clean install of windows, but it did not seem to work. Any suggestions to help the cause?

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
full system spec? include make and model of the psu
Motherboard:a320m-s2hc-cf
Cpu: ryzen 3 3200g with radeon graphics 3600 mhz 4 logical processors
GPu: Powercolor red devil rx 580 8gb
psu:thermaltake smart series 500w
installed ram 7.95gb

I also put the cpu in myself.. with the fan I believe there was thermal paste already on the bottom of the fan therefore I wouldnt have to apply more correct?

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
I’d use gpu z to check cpu temps while gaming I bet it needs more thermal paste. Also make sure windows is in high performance mode and check in your bios if the cpu is set to a lower power state possibly

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
installed ram 7.95gb

I also put the cpu in myself.. with the fan I believe there was thermal paste already on the bottom of the fan therefore I wouldnt have to apply more correct?
realistically that wasn't the best chip to get if you wanted more FPS as the one you had was the earlier version of it. you should have picked up something that wasn't an APU (a CPU that has integrated graphics). you already have an rx 590.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOsbtzWZOBM
I am just confused as to why its making my FPS worse though.. I thought it would help FPS drops etc not make the frames even worse.

installed ram 7.95gb

In general, whenever you change a CPU, you should always completely clean the old thermal paste from CPU heatsink/fan and reapply new thermal paste. That way you make sure that the 'taking off and subsequent putting back on' the heatsink/fan didn't cause bubbles and/or missing spots.

BUT - unless your CPU is overheating, this is not causing your problem. Download/install hardware monitor or hardware info and check your CPU temperatures to make sure.

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
I’d use gpu z to check cpu temps while gaming I bet it needs more thermal paste. Also make sure windows is in high performance mode and check in your bios if the cpu is set to a lower power state possibly
I had checked the temps as I wasn't gaming and they are high..just sitting here and it is 87-99 degrees

That is too high, what kind of heat sink do you have? Did one come with the Ryzen 3 3200g? Or are you trying to use your original one? If it was new and came with thermal paste it should be ok. You can't reuse preapplied thermal paste, only intended for one use. If it is reused you have to clean it (paper coffee filters) and put paste on the CPU properly.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HeRSLdN9bI

Reactions: joeblowsmynose

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
That is too high, what kind of heat sink do you have? Did one come with the Ryzen 3 3200g? Or are you trying to use your original one? If it was new and came with thermal paste it should be ok. You can't reuse preapplied thermal paste, only intended for one use. If it is reused you have to clean it (paper coffee filters) and put paste on the CPU properly.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HeRSLdN9bI
On the bottom of the heat sync there was paste, but after I checked the entire cpu was not covered by the paste. I had looked up thermal pads to buy? Any thought about the pads vs the paste?

The only time I've ever used thermal pads is when it was already applied to the heatsink. As for thermal paste there are many good ones. In the past, Arctic Silver 5 was the considered the best. I haven't been keeping up to date with newer compounds too much. I'm sure others will post with their advice.

What's really important is how to apply it.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108-3.html

This is a good article - read it. I typically use a small pea size in the middle of the CPU and then carefully apply the heatsink and tighten down the screws in an alternating diagonal pattern. I'm sure there are many videos online that illustrate how to do this.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
I’d try gelid gc extreme or kingpin paste but honestly you can go to a local tech store and pick up some Corsair stuff which will work just fine. The two I first mentioned will drop temp significantly over typical paste though

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
I’d try gelid gc extreme or kingpin paste but honestly you can go to a local tech store and pick up some Corsair stuff which will work just fine. The two I first mentioned will drop temp significantly over typical paste though
was actually just gonna ask about the corsair since that is the only one I can find near me.

On the bottom of the heat sync there was paste, but after I checked the entire cpu was not covered by the paste. I had looked up thermal pads to buy? Any thought about the pads vs the paste?
There are some graphite type thermal pads but the jury is still out, you can see some YouTube videos about them. I like how Cary Holtzman puts his paste on with a nitrile glove finger, Skin oil contaminates.