May 3, 2009
Hello,

I recently upgraded my CPU,
was a
8800GT
3700+ (2.2GHz)
2GB ram
450Watts

to a Intel Duo Core 6420 which is 2.13 GHz each core and a new mobo. Now everything seems to be slower and I can't seem to do multiple things that well like installing a program and surfing the web. Or just trying to start a game takes a while. I tried starting CS Source and it took a few minutes when I used to have no problems.

Computer has been reformated for upgrade by the way.

Do you think I need a better power supply?

Is there anything else you need to know?

Hope you can help me!

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Hi

Are you running a current bios? Did you discharge the MB before installing the new CPU? Did you check in the bios to see if your multiplier is set correctly (usually to max). Try this:

Unplug the PSU. Remove the mem sticks and the CMOS battery. Discharge the motherboard by holding in the power button while touching the metal part of the case for approx 30 sec. Put the battery back in, one stick of ram in the B1 slot and post. Don't forget to re-apply your bios settings especially your mem voltage & timing before adding remaining sticks.

willmazing

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
I tried what starams5 told me and what wusy said but it's still the same.

I never had vista, this PC and my old one both used windows XP

willmazing

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
What joefriday said is very true because first of all if you're on HDD then the instant (snappyness) of Vista in general compared to XP can be slower in some places regardless of RAM capacity.
I don't have SuperFetch enabled in Server 2008 x64, but indexing still takes place occasionally. The easiest to identify is if the HDD light is blinking constantly before you open/launch something.

I'm not using Vista but the red light in front of my computer, flashes constantly and sometimes stays solid when running stuff especially.
I have 3 lights in front, green is always on, other one is off, and the red, so i'm assuming that's my harddrive light?

Not sure what motherboard I have yet, it's an Intel though.

willmazing

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Also, I was scrimming on counter-strike 1.6 and I would get 100 FPS but it would spike down and then return to 100 for a bit. But after a while of playing, it will run "normally" with spikes happening rarely, about 10-15 minutes.

So I think it might be the HD like you said. Anyone know what to do now? Reformat?

willmazing

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Yes, a clean install of the OS (prime time for Vista x64) would be the way to go along with freshly loaded latest drivers for all devices.

Speaking of which, did you do a clean install when your switched to a new mobo and the E6420? If you didn't then that's where your trouble is.
You can not switch between different chipset(when switching mobo) without a clean install of the OS. Most system would just BSOD if you did that.

Well my uncle gave me the CPU/Mobo and the way he installed windows was, he had another hardrive with windows installed on it already and he transfered it all to mine. He said his harddrive had windows installed with the same CPU/Mobo I'm using now. Would that still cause a problem?

I'll update on the HDTune test when it's done.

Here's the benchmark
HD Tune: Maxtor 6L300R0 Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 1.3 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 1.7 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 1.6 MB/sec
Access Time : 18.3 ms
Burst Rate : 1.7 MB/sec
CPU Usage : 53.5%