Question Upgraded CPU from Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 7 5700x and launching Modern Warfare 2 instantly reboots my computer with no error message.

egeforce

Reputable
Aug 2, 2019
Hey folks,
Every time I launch MW2 my computer reboots automatically and it never actually gets into the game. This has occurred right when I upgraded to the 5700X processor from my 2600. I don't get any bluescreen, error codes, or anything to troubleshoot as it just restarts my computer.
Ive tried:
  • Updating BIOS to latest version (Running a ASROCK b450 pro4)
  • Updated CPU chipset (Ryzen 7 5700x)
  • Updated GPU to latest version (526.86) (Running 3060 ti)
  • 16gb of ram (turned off XMP for testing). Tried to run the RAM config single channel
  • Took the CMOS battery out to refresh

Other games like VALORANT and steam games work fine. Is this a compatibility issue with MW2 itself?

UserBenchmarks: Game 120%, Desk 93%, Work 123%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X - 92.9%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060-Ti - 130.9%
SSD: Intel SSDSC2BW480A3L 480GB - 50%
SSD: Microsoft Storage Space Device 997GB - 219%
SSD: Microsoft Storage Space Device 1TB - 183.9%
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 71.5%
MBD: Asrock B450 Pro4

I have, BIOS settings haven't been touched, I turned XMP off. I have tried taking out the CMOS battery in-and-out already as well
In my experience, crashing in specific gaming scenarios are frequently a problem with GPU drivers. You have updated and I'm assuming you're running the GPU in stock configuration too, with no overclocking. I'm not really sure why a CPU change would bring this on but maybe a clean install of the drivers might be a good thing to do. That means un-installing, cleaning up with DDU then installing your preferred rev.

But then, Windows itself is quirky. I'd uninstall the chipset drivers and install them fresh too....and only use the ones from AMD's support web site. After that make sure Windows is fully updated then do a disk cleanup (type "disk cleanup" in search) and be sure to let it clean up system files (that does a lot of what DISM repairs do). Then open command prompt with admin rights and run "SFC/scannow".

egeforce

Reputable
Aug 2, 2019
In my experience, crashing in specific gaming scenarios are frequently a problem with GPU drivers. You have updated and I'm assuming you're running the GPU in stock configuration too, with no overclocking. I'm not really sure why a CPU change would bring this on but maybe a clean install of the drivers might be a good thing to do. That means un-installing, cleaning up with DDU then installing your preferred rev.

But then, Windows itself is quirky. I'd uninstall the chipset drivers and install them fresh too....and only use the ones from AMD's support web site. After that make sure Windows is fully updated then do a disk cleanup (type "disk cleanup" in search) and be sure to let it clean up system files (that does a lot of what DISM repairs do). Then open command prompt with admin rights and run "SFC/scannow".
Thank for the reply!

I was able to get it to run just now by updating my BIOS/UEFI firmware to 5.60 on the AsRock B450 Pro4 MB. Prior to this I had updated to 5.00 which on the website mention it would provide support to Ryzen 5 processors. Turns out there was another one in October that provided further support for 4000GPUs and I just tried it just now and it worked.

Thank you again for the responses again!