Upgraded CPU, MOBO, and RAM. Now computer freezes for a few moments.

Oct 15, 2018
I would like to give a huge thanks in advance to anyone who takes time out of there day to answer! So I upgraded my Motherboard, cpu, and ram. I used to have an intel i5-4460 and 16 gb of 1333 ram. I upgraded to the ryzen and faster ram I will send full system specs below. Ever since I upgraded my computer has been experiencing "freezes". The program I am using will not respond for up to 15 seconds, and then will continue to function properly. I can move my mouse around during this time and I only get the "not responding" error if I try to click on things while frozen. I have done a clean install of windows from a usb boot device, I updated all my drivers, and I have tried many fixes online. Do you guys know what I can do? I am really bummed I was expecting a performance boost from my upgrade but these freezes make things unplayable. Below is myuserbenchmark. When running user benchmark is tells me that my processor, ram, and ssd are performing below what is expected.
UserBenchmarks: Game 86%, Desk 70%, Work 65%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 70.9%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 - 95.3%
SSD: Mushkin Reactor 256GB - 72.1%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 109.6%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - 62.7%
MBD: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
Not exactly sure, but brainstorming here.. what is the memory running at? Stock and if so what did it default to? I also went to a 2600 from a 4460 recently and once you get this taken care of it's going to be worth it.

Is the bios on the most recent stable Build? Any updated showing up? You would have to update that via flash drive during boot up, can't be done via windows. Does it happen right after Windows install before programs are added? What about booting in safe mode?

How are the temps? I wonder if that could possibly be a result of a bad connection, too tight or lose on the heatsink? Doubt that would be it though.

Also try the display connected via the motherboard to rule out the gpu being involved. Try installing afterburner or similar so you can see what happens when it freezes. We could see if the cpu spikes, does the power dip down, does the gpu max out, etc... after it freezes just open the graph and take a look.. Maybe try set Windows power plan to max performance.

Good luck

I would suggest opening Windows Task Manager, and taking a look at % CPU and % Memory usage. That is in real time conditions. Then switch to the Start Up tab. Under that tab, every application that is loaded at start up is listed. All of those applications are running constantly. I would guess that there are many. The default for loaded applications is to load the application at start up.

Scan that list of applications for any with medium or high impact on start up. Then use the disable button at the bottom of the page. Then do the same for all applications that aren't used every few days. That will free up system resources.

Anther thing to do is to check the Virtual memory. Search Windows for "performance", then select Adjust Appearance and Performance, and then the select Advanced tab. Then select Change Virtual Memory. And finally select Custom and the system drive. I would suggest setting the minimum to 10,000 MB and the maximum to 15,000 MB. This sets a small portion of your system drive as temporary memory. You can do the same for other drives. You should notice the difference in the operation of the PC.

The next thing to consider is this. PC freezes are almost always software related. The problem can be an incompatible or corrupt driver, a corrupt or missing system file, or a corrupt BIOS. So after freeing up system resources above, begin by updating all of the device drivers (especially the graphics driver and the motherboard drivers). Then reevaluate the freeze problem.

If it still persists, then update the BIOS. And finally if needed, do a fresh install of the operating system.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
If this issue happens fairly often then you may want to try what Terry mentioned in steps so you can know the cause. Like disable the startup programs then restart the computer and see if it does it. Won't hurt doing it all at once, but if you would like to know the cause it would make it harder to figure out

Oct 15, 2018
Hello thank you everyone for you responses I have worked double open closes all weekend but I have a 3 hour break today where I am able to go home and try solutions, I will keep you all updated <3

Another possibility is the RAM. Ryzen systems are very picky about the RAM. Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB is a great choice, but was it on the motherboard QVL list? And it would be a good idea to run memtest86. It will show if all of the memory is showing up and the frequency. It will also test for errors.