Jul 21, 2022
Original equipment-
-MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI
-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
-CORSAIR H100i RGB PLATINUM Liquid cooler
-G.SKILL TridentZ 64GB RAM DDR4. 3600
-SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB SSD
-CORSAIR RMx Series RM750x Modular PSU

I upgraded my CPU from a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X to a AMD Ryzen 9 5900X and now I just have a red CPU light on my motherboard it will not even boot into bios.

The only thing I have tried I changed from 8 pin to 12 pin for my CPU power plug. I may have done that wrong because I used the 8 pin I was already using and then added a 4 pin. I tried that because it wasn't working.
Any help would be appreciated!

Jul 21, 2022
Did you update the BIOS to run the 5900X? x570 motherboards didn't start out life being able to support the Zen 3 processors.
No, I'm still learning when it comes to this stuff. I didn't realize that was something that had to be done. Is that possible without it booting up? With a thumb drive maybe? Putting the old one CPU back in will unfortunately not be an option

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
No, I'm still learning when it comes to this stuff. I didn't realize that was something that had to be done. Is that possible without it booting up? With a thumb drive maybe? Putting the old one CPU back in will unfortunately not be an option

Luckily, I believe this has a BIOS Flash button that allows you to update without a compatible CPU. A lot of motherboards don't have this.

For exact instructions, consult the manual for your board.

You need at least BIOS 7C37v1F.zip to run this CPU.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-X570-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI/support#cpu

Reactions: Digital~Dreams
Jul 21, 2022
Luckily, I believe this has a BIOS Flash button that allows you to update without a compatible CPU. A lot of motherboards don't have this.

You need at least BIOS 7C37v1F.zip to run this

You need at least BIOS 7C37v1F.zip to run this CPU.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-X570-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI/support#cpu
Okay, I downloaded the manual and put that file onto a thumb drive. I plugged the thumb drive into bios flash port and pushed the bios flash button. The computer powered on and is still just sitting here with the red CPU light. Does it take awhile or did I possibly do it wrong?

Jul 21, 2022
Okay, I downloaded the manual and put that file onto a thumb drive. I plugged the thumb drive into bios flash port and pushed the bios flash button. The computer powered on and is still just sitting here with the red CPU light. Does it take awhile or did I possibly do it wrong?
Okay! I'm in Bios with a red boot light now!?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Did you follow the instructions on page 45 to the letter? You don't just stick the zip file on the flash drive and push the button.

Jul 21, 2022
Did you follow the instructions on page 45 to the letter? You don't just stick the zip file on the flash drive and push the button.
I did, it just took awhile and then I had to run the windows media creation tool but that was an unrelated problem. I am up and functional as of about 5 minutes ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS