Feb 19, 2022
Relevant information
Asus p8p67_le
i7 3990
32gb ddr3 1600mhz
1T ssd
650w power supply

Upgraded from i5 and 16gb of ram.

I swapped out the cpu. Made sure to wear gloves and clean the old thermal paste. Made the the chip was properly set. Everything was fine with the old chip, once I swapped them out I lost visual display. As well as the USB ports are not functioning. So I can't get into bios even if I could see. Not sure if it's an issue with the cpu or power supply. Possibly some with the motherboard. I've looked for answers online but could not find anything about this specific hardware, and since it's a little dated it seemed more difficult to find help. When I power it on the fans run, and the motherboard lights up but that's all

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Relevant information
Asus p8p67_le
i7 3990
32gb ddr3 1600mhz
1T ssd
650w power supply

Upgraded from i5 and 16gb of ram.

I swapped out the cpu. Made sure to wear gloves and clean the old thermal paste. Made the the chip was properly set. Everything was fine with the old chip, once I swapped them out I lost visual display. As well as the USB ports are not functioning. So I can't get into bios even if I could see. Not sure if it's an issue with the cpu or power supply. Possibly some with the motherboard. I've looked for answers online but could not find anything about this specific hardware, and since it's a little dated it seemed more difficult to find help. When I power it on the fans run, and the motherboard lights up but that's all

Well, does the old one still work? If you need to update the BIOS, you have to do it before you swap the CPU, not after. That's a Sandy Bridge era motherboard, which means BIOS update will be required for Ivy Bridge CPUs.

That is, if you have an Ivy Bridge. I'm assuming you actually mean an i7 3770 since there's no such thing as a 3990.

Feb 19, 2022
Well, does the old one still work? If you need to update the BIOS, you have to do it before you swap the CPU, not after. That's a Sandy Bridge era motherboard, which means BIOS update will be required for Ivy Bridge CPUs.

That is, if you have an Ivy Bridge. I'm assuming you actually mean an i7 3770 since there's no such thing as a 3990.

Yes. That's exactly what I meant.
I do still have the old cpu. So I put it back on and then update the bios for the 3770?

Feb 19, 2022
Alright. So I downloaded the driver. Extracted the rom to a flash drive. Plugged the usb drive in and set to boot from it?
I still get a black screen when I swap CPUs.
What step did I miss?

TRENDING THREADS