Question Upgraded CPU on Aurora ALX from i7 930 to Xeon x5680

vellen08

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
The computer wouldn't boot. I went back in and reseated it and now saw a blue screen saying to try it again and it didn't boot properly. Do I need to change the BIOS? I can get to it but I don't know what to look for. Help is very much appreciated.
*It occurred to me that the BIOS is software. I'll look for another forum.

Last edited:

vellen08

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I did reseat the cpu and got it started only to find "missing operating system". I've had problems with corrupted files so wasn't too surprised. I checked to make sure the bios recognized the xeon, it did. I popped in the win 7 install disk. Had to make a partition, transfer the install files from the cd e: drive to c: drive and that didn't work. The only odd thing I did was see the memory used on my d drive. I took that out to hopefully save that info. Could that be the problem?

If everything was fine before, you broke something. :( I would try to put your system back to exactly how it was and get that working first. If you don't have any backups of data, now is the time to do it before you do anything else.

vellen08

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Put the old cpu in? There isn't any way to back it up when the os is missing. I did save important stuff from the c drive and unplugged the d drive which showed there was data on it. I'll order a decent thermal paste kit and do that if I don't find an alternative fix.

Put the old cpu in? There isn't any way to back it up when the os is missing. I did save important stuff from the c drive and unplugged the d drive which showed there was data on it. I'll order a decent thermal paste kit and do that if I don't find an alternative fix.
Yep, old everything back just the way it was.

Oh yes there is--put the drive in a drive dock/external enclosure and connect it to another system via usb.

Get paste from your local best buy--it works good and is available right now.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS