Question Upgraded CPU, stuck on a black screen after boot up. Now the same problem occurs eith old CPU.

Feb 23, 2023
Hey all,
I recently upgraded my CPU from an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 to a Ryzen 5 5600X.

Simply removed the old CPU and put the new one in. Tried booting it, and the fans work, lights lit up — but nothing comes up on my monitor. Just black.

After reading a lot of threads, I’ve tried multiple things. The biggest issue is that when I try putting back my old CPU (3600), the exact problem now occurs.

Here is more information about my build.

MB: B450-Plus
GPU: RTX 3060 Ti
CPU: (Ryzen 3600 / 5600x)
RAM: 16 GB (Two sticks)

Here are the things I have tried.

1. Power drain, take apart PC and rebuild.
  2. Cleaned dust off parts.
  3. Try with one stick of RAM, different orders, and with both again.
  4. Reset BIOS by removing the CMOS battery.
  5. Adjusting CPU fan (always made sure it was connected)
  6. Tried with a new monitor. (DP and HDMI both tried, connected to GPU)

NOTE: I did not update BIOS beforehand. I want to, but cant since my original CPU has the same issue.

Extra question: Would purchasing a new motherboard solve this issue, if no solution exists?

Please Help! Thank You.

Hey all,
I recently upgraded my CPU from an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 to a Ryzen 5 5600X.

Simply removed the old CPU and put the new one in. Tried booting it, and the fans work, lights lit up — but nothing comes up on my monitor. Just black.

After reading a lot of threads, I’ve tried multiple things. The biggest issue is that when I try putting back my old CPU (3600), the exact problem now occurs.

Here is more information about my build.

MB: B450-Plus
GPU: RTX 3060 Ti
CPU: (Ryzen 3600 / 5600x)
RAM: 16 GB (Two sticks)

Here are the things I have tried.

1. Power drain, take apart PC and rebuild.
  2. Cleaned dust off parts.
  3. Try with one stick of RAM, different orders, and with both again.
  4. Reset BIOS by removing the CMOS battery.
  5. Adjusting CPU fan (always made sure it was connected)
  6. Tried with a new monitor. (DP and HDMI both tried, connected to GPU)
NOTE: I did not update BIOS beforehand. I want to, but cant since my original CPU has the same issue.

Extra question: Would purchasing a new motherboard solve this issue, if no solution exists?

Please Help! Thank You.
That was first mistake not upgrading BIOS while old CPU was in and working. You can try some things. One is with 3600 in to reset CMOS shorting CLR_CMOS pins on the MB with battery in.
If that doesn't work another one is to insert original CD you got with MB into a CD drive and turn the power on and press start button. Asus MBs of that vintage have "Safe BIOS" feature which should read original BIS from CD and flash it in. That can be done without having video output, Blindly if you will. It would also help if you had a beeper connected to MB which should beep appropriate code for any problems. One beep if successful. If that doesn't work you can take it to good PC repair service and they should have a special apparatus to flash any BIOS in for a nominal price as it takes only 5 minutes to do it.
Failing all of that, yes you could get another MB on which at least 3600 should work and then update BIOS, in that cas emight as well get a B550 MB.

Reactions: kurdtnz