Question Upgraded CPU without updating motherboard, black screen. Put back old cpu to update motherboard, black screen, help!

mrwasi

Honorable
Apr 26, 2017
Hi. Me being the goof I am swapped a 2700x with a 5800x without updating the bios of my motherboard, Gigabyte GA-AB350N.

So I put back the 2700x, turned on the pc and all I get is a black screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mrwasi

Honorable
Apr 26, 2017
full system spec?
monitor connect to the gpu? any fan spinning with the 2700x in?

Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming-WiFi
2700x upgrading to 5800x
2060 super gpu
16gb ram

I have the hdmi plugged into the gpu. All fans spinning psu cpu etc, black screen.

I even tried hdmi directly into the mobo. black screen

mrwasi

Honorable
Apr 26, 2017
don't have igpu so the motherboard won't output anything

what the psu? check the pcie power cable to the gpu to psu?
750w psu. Not sure the brand. It's an ITX so very tiny.

Everything is connected. I've been using this pc for years w/o any issues. Just swapped cpu without the bios update which I think may have messed up the bios. BUT I had to update the bios previously for the 2700x.
I removed the cmos battery but I think that may have reset the bios to stock but I don't have a 1st gen cpu to test so I think I'm SOL

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I removed the cmos battery but I think that may have reset the bios to stock but I don't have a 1st gen cpu to test so I think I'm SOL
For how long? Take it out of the motherboard for 15 minutes and push the start button for about 30 seconds with the battery out. Also make sure the pc is of the power when doing this, so plug out of the wall socket or at least set the psu switch on the back to 0/off.

Removing the battery only sets the bios to stock setting, it doesn't make it revert to an older bios so if the 2700x worked on the old bios should it do now.
That said make sure you didn't bend pins on the cpu.

Reactions: mrwasi

mrwasi

Honorable
Apr 26, 2017
For how long? Take it out of the motherboard for 15 minutes and push the start button for about 30 seconds with the battery out. Also make sure the pc is of the power when doing this, so plug out of the wall socket or at least set the psu switch on the back to 0/off.

Removing the battery only sets the bios to stock setting, it doesn't make it revert to an older bios so if the 2700x worked on the old bios should it do now.
That said make sure you didn't bend pins on the cpu.
Few, I thought it was more of a factory reset back to the original bios.

I'll try what you recommended when I get the chance. Family coming over for xmas dinner. None of the pins are bent on the cpu I tried to re-seat the cpu to see if it wasn't set properly.

I'll let you know how how it goes. Tha KS for your help. I really appreciate it.

mrwasi

Honorable
Apr 26, 2017
Just react when you can, those in the thread usually get notified.

Have a nice Christmas (dinner).
I had break. Took out the cmos battery and disconnected the psu from the outlet, had a shower, took the dogs for a walk, plugged it back in. Still black screen. My motherboard does have a CMOS jumper. Would that be of any help?

zx128k

Reputable
Check the simple stuff, I have a monitor with a display port that will give a black screen if the plug is not inserted just right. Also check the pcie power cable to the gpu. Also try reseating the gpu or moving it to another slot if you can. I would follow the motherboard manual procedure for reseting the CMOS. I would guess this motherboard uses a jumper. See if the motherboard supports upgrading the BIOS without a cpu installed.

mrwasi

Honorable
Apr 26, 2017
Check the simple stuff, I have a monitor with a display port that will give a black screen if the plug is not inserted just right. Also check the pcie power cable to the gpu. Also try reseating the gpu or moving it to another slot if you can. I would follow the motherboard manual procedure for reseting the CMOS. I would guess this motherboard uses a jumper. See if the motherboard supports upgrading the BIOS without a cpu installed.
Unfortunately I tried upgrading the bios without the cpu but the 350n does not have that feature. I think I may have to disassemble the whole bloody thing and reassemble. I'm afraid to use the cmos jumper as the manual states the bios goes back to factory reset which I don't have an older cpu that works with the original bios

Unfortunately I tried upgrading the bios without the cpu but the 350n does not have that feature. I think I may have to disassemble the whole bloody thing and reassemble. I'm afraid to use the cmos jumper as the manual states the bios goes back to factory reset which I don't have an older cpu that works with the original bios
It only resets the current BIOS to default. It does NOT rollback to the factory version.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

mrwasi

Honorable
Apr 26, 2017
The motherboard manual will have this information. Normally there is a jumper block with two positions. I wouldn't use a screwdriver, thats just asking for something bad to happen.
CLR_CMOS (Clear CMOS Jumper)
Use this jumper to clear the BIOS configuration and reset the CMOS values to factory defaults. To clear
the CMOS values, use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few seconds.

Is this what I need to help clear the bios so that it would recognize my 2700x again? I just want to make sure that I don't mess anything up.

CLR_CMOS (Clear CMOS Jumper)
Use this jumper to clear the BIOS configuration and reset the CMOS values to factory defaults. To clear
the CMOS values, use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few seconds.

Is this what I need to help clear the bios so that it would recognize my 2700x again? I just want to make sure that I don't mess anything up.

Yes, try shorting those two pins for around 10-20 seconds.

Reactions: mrwasi

mrwasi

Honorable
Apr 26, 2017
Cables as well?

Running out of options, might be that theis old motherboard crapped out in some way, maybe the bios just got screwed up. Some techs have tools to see if they can reflash, but finding one might be an issue for you. Even then you just have to see how it works out.

Looking at the investment on the cpu might getting a new B550 motherboard maybe be a better option.
Yeah I gave up and brought it in to my local computer repair shop. They're still trying but so far they think the motherboard is pooched