Upgraded Dell 435MT

oxifer

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I recently purchased a Dell 435 MT with the i7-920 and 8 GBs of DDR3 1066Mhz RAM. I plan on using the system for gaming and after reading these forums and others I purchased an Antec Earthwatts 650w PSU and an XFX Radeon HD 4890. Last night I put all of the components together in the system and it fired right up. I was excited to install drivers and download games to get rolling, however seconds after starting the computer the fan on the 4890 kicked in and my screen went black. I rebooted and the screen blacked out even quicker than the first time. I sat back down and disassembled and then reassembled the tower, with the same result. The graphic card was warm to the touch even after only having it running for a few moments. Does anyone have any suggestions?

oxifer

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Thanks for the advice, but my monitor doesn't get a signal long enough for me to be able to install the drivers. I boot the computer, get the bios screen log into windows 7, start the setup.exe CD on the drivers and by that time the fan on the graphics cards kicks in and the monitor looses signal... can i put the old graphics card back in and install the drivers for the new and then swap?

oxifer

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Thanks for your advice guys. I went into safe mode to put the driver on and that actually caused the same issue so I broke down, put the old graphics card in (ATI 512mb 4670) loaded the drivers and the put the 4890 back in and it worked just fine. I haven't really "tested" it yet but at least my monitor doesn't lose signal shortly after boot.

Thanks again.