Discussion Upgraded display and performance is the same or better (thought I would get less FPS)

M3rKn

Prominent
Nov 13, 2019
I was using an MSI 24inch 1080p 144hz monitor. https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-Mag241c
I upgraded to a Dell 27 inch 1440p 165hz monitor. https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2721dgf/apd/210-axeh/monitors-monitor-accessories

I was under the impression I was going to be trading FPS for resolution. Except, after setting it up I do not see any difference if FPS. I have not messed with the monitors internal settings other than making sure Freesync 2 & HDR are enabled. In windows I enabled 165hz refresh rate (windows defaults to 60hz), and HDR. As for my games I have played with it so far; Assassins Creed Odyssey, Cyber Punk 2077, The Witcher 3, Resident Evil 2, Metro Exodus, FarCry 5, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Since I was playing them on a 1080p display I had to change the resolution to 2560x1440 for each game and made sure HDR was enabled if it was optional. No other in game graphics settings were changed. My graphics settings on 1080p were a mixture of ultra and high detail. I got most of my settings from Hardware Unboxed or Gamer Nexus optimized settings tutorials with tweaks of my own. I figured I would see a drop in performance, but that hasn't been the case. Tomb Raider for instance gave me an uplift in FPS. I was averaging 115 FPS with the same settings, but now I get upwards of 144 average and max is in the 180 FPS range. I am getting my averages by running MSI Afterburner, gaming for an hour, and going off the graph that is displayed (this is how I measured my averages with the 1080p monitor). I am not surprised that ACO had the same performance, because that game is so badly optimized it doesn't matter what resolution you play it at, but for the rest I am not sure why the performance is virtually identical as with my prior display.

I am extremely happy with the monitor. Its buttery smooth and there is so much more detail than before. I feel like I am playing these games for the first time again so I am not complaining. Just wondering if I am crazy.

ASK THE COMMUNITY