[SOLVED] Upgraded from 2070 Super to 3080 TI and getting WORSE performance

Bobman108

Honorable
Aug 16, 2016
I've tried everything I could find on the internet. I asked people online as well and only got the response "good luck on finding the problem because I got nothing".
In every game I play, both my CPU and GPU utilization are below 50-70%. Neither reach 100%. Yet, my fps sits below 200 and even settles around 90 at 1440p, which is really lame since one of those games is Destiny 2 and that isn't really a graphically demanding title. (2070 S rarely dipped below 120 fps on max setting at 1440p just to reference)

In Destiny 2, I saw 98% utilization with the same fps when I set the resolution to 3840x2160, which I guess means the GPU is capable of reaching max utilization, but something is preventing it? When I put the resolution back to 1440p, I get the same fps but 50-70% utilization. CPU is chilling at around 30-40% utilization the whole time.
(I forgot to mention, the other times I got to see 98% usage in Destiny 2 was when I was loading between planets and you see your ship flying through space. My eyes get to be blessed by the numbers between 300-350fps and 98% GPU utilization and 40% CPU utilization. Then it is immediatly shot down when the world is loading and I'm able to walk around.... 120fps, 40-70 gpu and 30 cpu...)
Witcher 3, Forza Horizon 4 and Valorant saw worse performance with the 3080 ti than when I had my 2070 Super.

(Note: When I first installed the GPU, I noticed colors on my display looking 'desaturated' and I did nothing to my settings. That issue was resolved after the Windows reinstall.)

I've :
  • uninstalled the graphics drivers using DDU and installed fresh ones
  • undid any OCing I may have had
  • turned on XMP
  • clean installed windows 10
  • reseated the GPU
  • changed PSU's
  • Changed my power settings to benefit high performance in Windows and Nvidia
  • Checked thermals and the GPU sits comfortably around 60-70 C under load after a while.
  • Messed with a bunch of windows settings prior to reinstall and none of them worked. (don't remember them tbh)
  • Saw a solution on youtube where a guy set his PCI-E slot to run as Gen 3 instead of Auto because his GPU was running on Gen 2 for some reason. He gained his 100+fps, but I gained 0. Maybe 1....
  • I bought 3DMark and ran Time Spy and Port Royal.
I want to be sure if this is truly a GPU problem because I only got 11 days remaining on my return and would hate to have a $1.5k paper weight or return the GPU for a problem that it wasn't truly at fault for (considering how hard these things are to acquire even close to msrp).
I impulse bought the GPU on Newegg because I got selected during one of their Newegg Shuffles, in case someone asks about getting the GPU for $1.5k

My Specs:
  • Intel i5 10600k
  • RTX 3080 TI (Aorus Master)
  • Super Flower 850W PSU
  • Asus ROG Z490-E Mobo
  • 2x8Gb DDR4-3200 (I believe G Skill Ripjaw)
  • Nocua NH-D15

Solution
A cpu limitation can happen when a single core/thread, usually the Primary Command Thread, hits around 90% or more. Don't monitor whole cpu usage, as it can give false impressions that nothing's wrong here.
If it's not that, try monitoring disk usage.

"clean installed windows 10"
You did reinstall motherboard drivers(chipset, LAN, audio, etc) after doing this, right?

In Destiny 2, I saw 98% utilization with the same fps when I set the resolution to 3840x2160, which I guess means the GPU is capable of reaching max utilization, but something is preventing it?
When I put the resolution back to 1440p, I get the same fps but 50-70% utilization.
It doesn't have to be a perfect 100 - it's still over 90%. The above tells me the gpu...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A cpu limitation can happen when a single core/thread, usually the Primary Command Thread, hits around 90% or more. Don't monitor whole cpu usage, as it can give false impressions that nothing's wrong here.

You did reinstall motherboard drivers(chipset, LAN, audio, etc) after doing this, right?

In Destiny 2, I saw 98% utilization with the same fps when I set the resolution to 3840x2160, which I guess means the GPU is capable of reaching max utilization, but something is preventing it?
When I put the resolution back to 1440p, I get the same fps but 50-70% utilization.
It doesn't have to be a perfect 100 - it's still over 90%. The above tells me the gpu works just fine.

Solution

Bobman108

Honorable
Aug 16, 2016

It doesn't have to be a perfect 100 - it's still over 90%. The above tells me the gpu works just fine.

Honestly, forgot to do mobo drivers and all that. Late reply was to do all of that and check game fps. Unfortunately no major change. I was getting slightly higher fps, but still not better than 2070 super.