[SOLVED] Upgraded from an old 5 year PC build, no difference.

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Hello, I switched from:

CPU: i5-4690k
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb

to

CPU: i5-10600k
GPU: GTX 1080 ti 11 gbs

I bought a new case, I got alot of fans for my 1080 ti, new motherboard, 16 GBS of DDR4 RAM from my 8 gbs of DDR3 1600 ghz.
I built a completely new PC, I know my GPU is still from the 1000 series but from what I saw the card is still pretty good, I got it for 200$ from a seller in my town. I did a GPU-Z check and its a legit 1080 ti, I thought id be able to pump better performance compared to my old PC but its pretty much the exact same.

Can someone help me with my issue?

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah it's an entirely new PC, not a single part taken my old my PC. So I had to install windows, and I did a BIOS update. I kind of figured the PSU might be a factor, Im only using it because it came with the case but Ive checked usage and stuff and it doesnt come close to 500w, assuming thats because the system doesnt even try. You think upgrading the PSU would make the system run better overall?

Well heres the thing about using a bad PSU, Its hard to tell exactly what it can cause. I mean in most cases the system is just unstable and crashes a lot. In a worst case you fry the thing and other components.

Your system clearly has a problem, whether the PSU is what will fix it, I can't say, but what I will say is the PSU...

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
What's the same? We need settings and game info.

The performance of my computer when gaming. Like Ultra settings in Total War Warhammer 2, and Ultra settings in GTA 5. It only uses like 25% of my VRAM on my GPU and it feels as if im playing it on my old PC its like my CPU and GPU arnt working as hard as they should, but who knows.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hello, I switched from:

CPU: i5-4690k
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb

to

CPU: i5-10600k
GPU: GTX 1080 ti 11 gbs

I bought a new case, I got alot of fans for my 1080 ti, new motherboard, 32 GBS of DDR4 RAM from my 8 gbs of DDR3 1600 ghz.
I built a completely new PC, I know my GPU is still from the 1000 series but from what I saw the card is still pretty good, I got it for 200$ from a seller in my town. I did a GPU-Z check and its a legit 1080 ti, I thought id be able to pump better performance compared to my old PC but its pretty much the exact same.

Can someone help me with my issue?

You neglected to mention the 500w junk PSU you are running on a 1080ti, mentioned in your other thread.

I'm surprised it doesn't crash, but clearly something is up.

I am assuming you reinstalled Windows upon creating this build. The next thing you need to do is toss that PSU in the trash and get yourself a GOOD 650w PSU. Think Seasonic, Corsair HXi, RMi, AXi, There are others that more people will suggest here.

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
You neglected to mention the 500w junk PSU you are running on a 1080ti, mentioned in your other thread.

I'm surprised it doesn't crash, but clearly something is up.

I am assuming you reinstalled Windows upon creating this build. The next thing you need to do is toss that PSU in the trash and get yourself a GOOD 650w PSU. Think Seasonic, Corsair HXi, RMi, AXi, There are others that more people will suggest here.

Yeah it's an entirely new PC, not a single part taken my old my PC. So I had to install windows, and I did a BIOS update. I kind of figured the PSU might be a factor, Im only using it because it came with the case but Ive checked usage and stuff and it doesnt come close to 500w, assuming thats because the system doesnt even try. You think upgrading the PSU would make the system run better overall?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Well heres the thing about using a bad PSU, Its hard to tell exactly what it can cause. I mean in most cases the system is just unstable and crashes a lot. In a worst case you fry the thing and other components.

Your system clearly has a problem, whether the PSU is what will fix it, I can't say, but what I will say is the PSU isn't helping. Its like your transmission in your car isn't working right, but its hard to test that transmission out when you have a flat tire too. Fix the flat tire.

Reactions: Raz_5_
Solution

logainofhades

Titan
Even if you are safe, on wattage, that doesn't mean your PSU is good enough. Junk units tend to inflate the amperage on 3.3v and/or 5v rails, to meet the wattage on the label, sacrificing the 12v amperage, that your GPU needs. I have seen quality 450w units, that have more 12v amperage, than a junk 500w.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krotow and Raz_5_

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017

Your system clearly has a problem, whether the PSU is what will fix it, I can't say, but what I will say is the PSU isn't helping. Its like your transmission in your car isn't working right, but its hard to test that transmission out when you have a flat tire too. Fix the flat tire.

I understand what you're saying and yeah it scares me cuz I dont know what it could be. It could very well be that its a used 1080 ti and somethings wrong with it, it could be the PSU it could be something Id need to do tests on again, but just for safety reasons I'll wait to swap out the PSU before doing any kind of stress tests or anything. Does it matter what kind of PSU I get in terms of it being Bronze, Silver, Gold, ect?

Edit: I know going for the best, would be the best but in terms of budget what would be a good one to get? Gold im guessing.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I understand what you're saying and yeah it scares me cuz I dont know what it could be. It could very well be that its a used 1080 ti and somethings wrong with it, it could be the PSU it could be something Id need to do tests on again, but just for safety reasons I'll wait to swap out the PSU before doing any kind of stress tests or anything. Does it matter what kind of PSU I get in terms of it being Bronze, Silver, Gold, ect?

Edit: I know going for the best, would be the best but in terms of budget what would be a good one to get? Gold im guessing.

80+ rating has 0 to do with quality.

You need to pick a good brand and model, even some good brands have bad models. Where are you located what store do you buy from I can make some recommendations?

Reactions: Krotow and King_V

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
80+ rating has 0 to do with quality.

You need to pick a good brand and model, even some good brands have bad models. Where are you located what store do you buy from I can make some recommendations?

I live in Minnesota (MN), I will be going today within the next 3 hours to go pickup and swap out my crappy PSU so that I can properly fix that problem and see if that helps with the issues I am seeing and then run some tests to find the problem.

Here is store ill be going to.

I will be going today within the next 3 hours to go pickup and swap out my crappy PSU so that I can properly fix that problem and see if that helps with the issues I am seeing and then run some tests to find the problem.
Enermax REVOLUTION DUO 500 W 80+ Gold is not exactly crappy. It's actually decent 500W PSU.
It's just not enough for what GTX 1080 ti needs. At least a good 600W PSU is required here.

Reactions: Krotow and Raz_5_

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I live in Minnesota (MN), I will be going today within the next 3 hours to go pickup and swap out my crappy PSU so that I can properly fix that problem and see if that helps with the issues I am seeing and then run some tests to find the problem.

Here is store ill be going to.

Sweet, I have a Microcenter nearby too, I love that place. I use their credit card too gets 5% off.

Anyway buy this

https://www.microcenter.com/product...10-year-warranty,-perfect-power-supply-for-ga

Feb 5, 2021
One step at a time doesn't help with troubleshooting. The people who help you need to know details before they can properly diagnose the issue. Otherwise it's like tossing up random ideas and hoping something sticks. The PSU was the concensus this time but you need to provide full details right off the bat. Then, if more is asked, you do it. There is a reason people have a set method they use to diagnose. They have fixed many issues.

Not a rant, just a simple piece of advice any future issues. When it comes to computer troubleshooting, there is usually no such thing as too much info. :)

Reactions: Raz_5_

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
One step at a time doesn't help with troubleshooting. The people who help you need to know details before they can properly diagnose the issue. Otherwise it's like tossing up random ideas and hoping something sticks. The PSU was the concensus this time but you need to provide full details right off the bat. Then, if more is asked, you do it. There is a reason people have a set method they use to diagnose. They have fixed many issues.

Not a rant, just a simple piece of advice any future issues. When it comes to computer troubleshooting, there is usually no such thing as too much info. :)
Sorry PSU was already taken out in prep for the new one I was going to buy since I was on a tight time frame for work. I just woke up and I'm hooking up the rest of the PSU. What would you like me to do to find out what youd like.

TRENDING THREADS