Upgraded from GTX 970 to RTX 2070, do I need to reinstall drivers?

Feb 5, 2019
Ok so I turned off the pc and swapped my old gpu for the new one I got (RTX 2070). After starting the PC a window popped up installing some stuff. Yeah I see a boost in performance but I not as much as I thought. What I did was simply go into geforce experience and checked if it updated automatically my gpu. and it did, it said 'rtx 2070' there. So I simply checked if the drivers are up to date by clicking 'check for updates' and it said i got the latest one. Now, I think I made a mistake, did I need to completely reinstall / uninstall old drivers or something? If so, what do I do now? how do I uninstall and install the correct ones? Thank you so much!!

Feb 5, 2019

how do i clean install ? Do I uninstall every driver i currently have? also how do i do it? through geforce experience?

manddy123

Admirable

Do this:
- Download the most recent driver for your RTX from NVIDIA's website
- Use DDU to uninstall all the graphic drivers: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
- Run/Install the downloaded driver, it will start the GEForce Exp, etc... When prompted(if propted) select 'clean installation' and let it be for a while, your screen might blink but that's completely fine.

After it ends, you'll be able to use the full potential of the RTX 2070

All done :)

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
Download Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), and go ahead and download the latest drivers for the RTX 2070. If you're on Windows 10, type msconfig and go to 'Boot' and check Safe Mode minimal. This will restart you in Safe Mode - go into DDU in Safe Mode and make sure you click Video and Nvidia for what you're removing and click "Clear and do not restart". Unplug your modem from the internet then go back to msconfig and unclick Safe mode. Restart back to normal windows and then install the drivers you downloaded.