Question Upgraded from i5 to i7 3700 computer slowed down.

Rdgeno

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
If this question is already here by me sorry I tried posting through my phone and as far as I can tell it didn't post. As you can see by the title I upgraded my cpu and it has slowed down the computer and dropped my rating on Benchmark My CPU. It went down from 74 percent overall to 54 and I noticed the difference right away slow start up lag the usual. I did a clean install of Windows 10 home after I tried everything else I could find except for the one thing I saw on Tom's Hardware which was to update or flash the bios I don't feel confident playing with that without some further research. Here's my specs if it helps I'm guessing it will you kind of need that to help.
Windows 10 Home clean install fully updated.
Mobo HP 339a LGA 1155 socket (This was my first build so I went cheap base computer i5 two 19 inch screens 180.)
Hp Compaq pro unfortunatly sff I'll get to that in a minute.
Sim Bios 2.7
Bios mode UEFI
C Drive Seagate Barracuda 500 GB SSD
D Drive Seagate Firecuda Gaming Hybrid 2 TB
E Drive Hitachie 1 TB came with the computer HDD.
Ram 24 GB Corsair Vengance
GPU Radion RX 560 4 GB
As I said earlier I would get back to this and I am the sff, I thought the problem might be the psu, but I cant upgrade because the dam psu is L shaped. I was going to cut out part of the back panel to fix it but there are three ports there that I have no idea what they are for. I have always had laptops this is my first pc since 1999 and I honestly don't recall seeing them then either, but I figured it's probably not a good idea to go around indiscriminately cutting away at a computer. I also tried to find a PSU that was 3.5 inches square no luck best I can find 3.25. I digress, so anyways I disconnected everything except eight GB of RAM and the 500 GB SSD, it didn't help. I put the i5 back in same as it was before even with everything hooked back up. I read on here that a few people had this problem but I didn't really see a clear answer and the ones that where didn't work except for the Bios but like I said I don't want to mess with that without some guidance. Before posting here I put the i7 back in and retested same deal. I don't know how good the test is on that site but it is consistent I'm getting the same results with either cpu as I have been getting. If anyone has any idea how I can fix this or if it just a bad cpu I would greatly appricate it if you could help me out with some info.Thank you in advance and have a great evening.

Rdgeno

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
Thank you very much wow was that fast and I never thought of that no one else either because that is the first time I have seen that suggestion. Also for once assuming didn't make an ass out of U and me you are 100% correct. Now I have a couple more questions, Do I need to just buy another one ,or is there a way to check ? If I do need another one what do I look for so I know it will fit ? Lastly is it really a bad idea to cut the frame so I can get a bigger psu in there? I really want to cut that thing I'm livid that they would close part of the computer that way, if I wanted a closed system I would buy Apple. Any way if you can answer those questions thank you again and if not then thank you anyway you have been a great help. Honestly I really appreciate the help. Have a great evening.