Question upgraded from Ryzen 5 3600 to Ryzen 7 58003d - can't get windows to boot - brings me to BIOS every time

newc1975

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016
Everything was working fine - I changed out the CPU and the cooler- now starting the
machine up always brings me to MSI click BIOS.

MB - MSI B450 Tomahawk - upgraded to latest BIOS before changing CPU - current BIOS is E7C02AMS.1I0 (worked fine with the Ryzen 5)
Bios recognizes:
Ryzen 7 as the CPU
All my hard drives
all my ram

Rig:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800 3d
MSI B450 Tomahawk
Sapphire AMD RX 5700 8 gig
ACER KG 240 144hz free sync 24in
SSD PNY CS1111 240gig (Win 10)
HDD Seagate Firecuda 2 TB
HDD Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
WD Easystore 1 TB
PSU EVGA GQ 750
RAM - 4X8 (32gig) Ballistix 3200 DDR4
Sound - Realtek on board
Roswell ATX mid tower Challenger S
Logitech G402 keyboard
Logitech G 213 mouse

Would prefer not to reinstall Windows

Don't know where to go next.

Last edited:

newc1975

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016
Check to see if your BIOS has Secure Boot enabled. If it is disable it to see if it boots. If it does then you probably need to convert the boot drive to GPT partitioning scheme.

If nothing works and yet BIOS is recognizing your boot drive try doing a repair install with in-place upgrade. This will install Windows on top of the existing installation while retaining settings and application installations.
I had previously checked the Secure Boot - it was enabled, I disabled it - no difference.
The instructions for the "repair install with ...." is for Win 11 - I am running Win 10 - does it work on Win 10?
I don't understand the reasoning for converting the WIN drive partitioning scheme. Literally hours before I changed out the CPU the machine was working perfectly. All I did was change the processor (and cooler) - it should have been just a drop in. I could see if Windows saw the change in CPU threads but that should be all.
Thanks as always for the help!

newc1975

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016
Thanks for the reply!

The boot order is correct.
I reset the CMOS and checked the BIOS settings - as far as I can tell they are the same as when I was running the old CPU.
You and others have suggested that possibly the Win Boot files are corrupt. I guess that could be the case - maybe shocked the drive as I was working on the CPU change. It just seems unlikely....
I know I can do a clean install of Windows or even load another windows program on another hard drive - but I don't want to do that if I don't have to.
I think it's odd that - when windows doesn't boot when turning the machine on - that it goes to the BIOS. In the past when I have had windows booting issues - it would just give me a blank screen or a warning message.
I may try to switch the CPU's back to see if Windows boots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had previously checked the Secure Boot - it was enabled, I disabled it - no difference.
The instructions for the "repair install with ...." is for Win 11 - I am running Win 10 - does it work on Win 10?
I don't understand the reasoning for converting the WIN drive partitioning scheme. Literally hours before I changed out the CPU the machine was working perfectly. All I did was change the processor (and cooler) - it should have been just a drop in. I could see if Windows saw the change in CPU threads but that should be all.
Thanks as always for the help!
Yes there is a how-to for Win10, although it's pretty much the same as Win11's. Keep in mind, this is only going to help if (for some reason) the BIOS actually does see the system drive but it simply refuses to start up. If BIOS doesn't see the system drive you have another problem.

I do agree it's perplexing why just swapping the CPU would do this unless you had BitLocker enabled and the fTPM was storing its keys. If you did have it enabled, or don't know for an absolute certainty it was NOT enabled, then put the old CPU back in to boot up and check. If it is, disable BitLocker in Windows or write down a backup key.

As far as changing partitioning scheme: BIOS can't access the system volume and refuses to boot up if the system drive doesn't use GPT so you'd probably end up in BIOS as you are now. In CSM (compatibility) it doesn't care so it will boot up even when using MBR partitioning. Later BIOS revisions have defaulted to running Windows in UEFI which requires GPT partitioning scheme; a CMOS reset might have put it back in the default setting.

Last edited:
Reactions: newc1975
Here's what I would suggest;

1. Put in the 3600 cpu and see if it boots properly.
2. If the 3600 boots properly go back into the BIOS and verify PBO is disabled and the memory speed is set to the default speed of of 2333MHz. Make sure the TPM is off if running Windows 10.
3. Install the 5800x3d.
4. Remove two of the sticks of RAM from the A1 and B1 slot. Ryzen's can have issues with trying to run 4 sticks especially above 2333MHz.
5. Disconnect all of the HDD's.
6. See if it boots into Window.

If the system will not boot into Windows using the 3600 then do steps 4-6 above with the 5800x3d installed and then re-install Window's 10. I know it sucks but it is what it is.

Always make sure you back up important files before making any major component swap.

newc1975

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016
Here's what I would suggest;

1. Put in the 3600 cpu and see if it boots properly.
2. If the 3600 boots properly go back into the BIOS and verify PBO is disabled and the memory speed is set to the default speed of of 2333MHz. Make sure the TPM is off if running Windows 10.
3. Install the 5800x3d.
4. Remove two of the sticks of RAM from the A1 and B1 slot. Ryzen's can have issues with trying to run 4 sticks especially above 2333MHz.
5. Disconnect all of the HDD's.
6. See if it boots into Window.

If the system will not boot into Windows using the 3600 then do steps 4-6 above with the 5800x3d installed and then re-install Window's 10. I know it sucks but it is what it is.

Always make sure you back up important files before making any major component swap.
OK - put the 3600 back in. Windows booted - but it struggled and ran like crap. I made the changes you suggested to the BIOS. Disabled PBO and changed the DRAM speed from auto. 2333MHz was not an option - picked 3600 since it was the speed of the ram - everything is running as it's supposed to. I could not find TPM. I will be away for a few days but when I get back I will reinstall the the 58003d and follow your suggestions. I will have a thumb drive ready to reinstall windows if necessary. I do have my files backed up on a WD Easystore 1 TB. Thanks

My mistake, default is 2133MHz if an option.

FTPM is only required for Windows 11, it's usually off by default in the BIOS.

What cpu cooler are you using?

Before installing the 5800x3d you should try to see why Windows is not running smoothly with the 3600 first.

.... 2333MHz was not an option - picked 3600 since it was the speed of the ram - everything is running as it's supposed to. I could not find TPM. ...

I'd reset CMOS first, if you didn't that could be why your system is running poorly. You might get away without it but any time you change processor or memory you should reset CMOS to avoid possible problems. It's easy to do and perfectly safe.

MSI BIOS may call the TPM a Security Processor so look for that to disable.

The correct, lowest, memory clock speed is 2133Mtps. In AUTO it should run at 2133, some at 2400.

Reactions: GarrettL

newc1975

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016
Thanks all for the input! Here's where I am:
I reinstalled the 3600. Windows boots fine.
I disabled the PBO - could not find the PTM or the Security Processor.
I set the RAM speed at 2133MHz - the machine did not run well - it would randomly freeze (I have had this issue in the past with this machine)
I then set the RAM speed to 3600MHz - everything runs well!! (I remember now upping the speed to 3600 fixed the freezing problem - have been running at this speed for years.)
The Ryzen 5 3600 is running with a standard wraith cooler.
I bought a AK 620 cooler for the 58003d and I installed it when I first tried the 5800.
At this point I am ready to reinstall the 7 58003d - and I know now that the Windows program is not corrupt.
I am a little hesitant to reset the BIOS since the current setting are working well (I usually remove the battery to reset the BIOS)
I plan to stay with the wraith cooler at first - just till I get to the point where I can boot windows (because it's in the way of getting at stuff on the MB and it's a pain in the ass to install and uninstall.) I'll make sure I don't push the CPU while the wraith is the cooler.
I plan to disconnect my 2 hard drives and just leave the SSD (Win 10) connected.
If it doesn't boot I'll try taking two of the RAM sticks out.
Lastly, I'll try booting windows from a recovery USB drive.

newc1975

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016
Solved! all I had to do was to change the OS configuration in the BIOS from UEFI to CSM after changing out the processors. Everything seems to be running normally.

Thanks for all the help!

Solved! all I had to do was to change the OS configuration in the BIOS from UEFI to CSM after changing out the processors. Everything seems to be running normally.

Thanks for all the help!
That suggests you indeed do need to convert your system drive to GPT partition scheme in order to start up in UEFI mode and use Secure Boot. I seriously suggest doing so as that's probably the best way to avoid root-kit exploits.

Last edited:

newc1975

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016