Question Upgraded GPU, am I really missing out by not upgrading whole rig?

Mar 31, 2019
I’m sure it’s been asked a bunch but I’m not seeing anything that actually answers the question, just opinions that everything needs to be upgraded. I know it’s subjective as well because I don’t have much hard data, but...

I built my rig in July 2013:

I5-4670k
High end ASUS MB
8gb ram, it was the fastest Corsair available at the time for the MB
GTX 770

Has been great for years, played a lot of Witcher and gta v and it always looked good.

I recently tried to play division 2 and it was choppy and unplayable at anything above medium settings. So I bought an RTX XC Ultra 2070 on a whim, and a 4K monitor cause I never liked my other monitor. It’s playing division at high and 4K like butter with the no problems. I’m hitting 60 FPS in game(minimum I saw was 48), at 3840x2160, with anything below that resolution staying constant at 60. I tried ultra at 4K and it got a little choppier around 35-50 FPS.

I got a deal on a 2080 Xc gaming, so for about $100 more I’m taking the 2070 back. I haven’t traded it out yet, but I’m assuming the performance will be even better.

I guess my real question here is how much more performance would I see from a new, high end CPU, MB, and RAM vs the current setup, and most importantly why? I just think the GPU upgrade really did everything I needed it to do and just currently haven’t seen any hard evidence justifying dropping $1000 on what ends up being a nearly all new computer.

Thanks in advance.

Dave8671

Distinguished
Some builds I have seen for 4k high end gaming, something like this
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti.
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K (3.2 GHz)/AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (3.2 GHz)
  • RAM: 16GB

The best experience is as high FPS as you can produce. As for your current rig not bad for a i5 4 gen. Plus your 2070 is doing the job. I can not say that I would ever buy a $500 GPU though. I would however upgrade the ram to 16 if possible.