Info Upgraded GPU and blew the PSU...

James9002uk

Commendable
May 30, 2017
I'm not sure where to put this post so if you have any other suggestions I'll move it to another thread, but seen as the underlining issue was the power supply, I'll stick it here for now (that's what she said).

I recently upgraded my i5 6600k, GTX 1070, Asus maximus vii system a for an i7 9700k, EVGA RTX 2070 XC and MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC motherboard, it was a fine/clean install except a small issue with Windows 10 and validation which was annoying but I just bought another software key for £10 off Amazon, fixed.

Over the last few months I've been steadily overclocking my system, so I am currently running at 5Ghz at 1.345v with other overclocking tweaks I will update once I remember what I actually did, I also overclocked my GPU to +110 core and 1200mhz memory (which is pretty good i think) however I noticed that when Id leave my 'games room' it was so much warming than the rest of the house and was noted by the wife, in some cases the GPU would hit 81c underload (Anthem). So I decided to buy the EVGA Hybrid aio, installation all went fine, I did a simple games test and all good. Until I came back to it later that evening and started to game properly on it.

I first noticed the screen flickering on and off (going black) tbf this only happened a few times very succession for me to actually react and then..... boom... a massive bang, power went off and tripped the house circuit (luckily no fire).

I immediately thought it was the GPU that fried and that was £650 down the drain, but after a few searches online I read it was mostly the PSU (Corsair RM650x) that had blown, but obviously could have taken any number of components with it, which I've had for about 3 years now.

After some more research - which is very limited in this area - one of the reasons for writing this post is I've put it down to power draw and the 650w couldn't handle the RTX 2070 and i7 9700k with the overclock as well as the new aio requirement with the pump/fan system... which I didn't really think about.

I now have a Corsiar 850w PSU which is holding up nicely at the moment (30c ilde and 58c underload), so fingers crossed this doesn't happen again. But just thought I'd mention when upgrading the GPU to and AIO - check your PSU can take all that new load as well as all the other parameters ie overclocking etc

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Overclocking can exceed TDP quite a bit. LGA115x CPUs will typically peak out around 200W before they are tapped out. RTX2070 might reach 300W overclocked. Doesn't leave a whole lot for the rest of it. And yes, you really do have to account for the drives, fans, and pumps.

Could also have been a coincidence and it just decided to fail under the higher load. Could have been anything.

Most Corsair have a 5 or more warranty, I would send it in and see if you can get a replacement. You can always sell it off or keep it as a backup.