Question Upgraded GPU, and removed pos hard drive and PC wouldn't boot into windows.

Aug 13, 2022
I went from a 1070 to 3070, i also had a very old pos hard drive i wanted too replace with a 4tb drive, i believe it has backup files for windows on it, as my m.2 drive has windows on it, when i removed the old drive it didn't load into windows so i reinstalled the hard drive and it booted into windows, why does this drive need too be hooked up? can i delete backup files or will i have a issue thanks.

All the drive has on it is Windows Apps, Program Files , and File History

I went from a 1070 to 3070, i also had a very old pos hard drive i wanted too replace with a 4tb drive, i believe it has backup files for windows on it, as my m.2 drive has windows on it, when i removed the old drive it didn't load into windows so i reinstalled the hard drive and it booted into windows, why does this drive need too be hooked up? can i delete backup files or will i have a issue thanks.

All the drive has on it is Windows Apps, Program Files , and File History
You installed windows with all your drives plugged in your not suppose to windows tells you itself to only leave drives that you want os partitions installed on plugged in, another words your wrote this drive as a primary and it's now a need thing for the system to boot only have one drive plugged in during your os install otherwise this will always happen

Aug 13, 2022
You installed windows with all your drives plugged in your not suppose to windows tells you itself to only leave drives that you want os partitions installed on plugged in, another words your wrote this drive as a primary and it's now a need thing for the system to boot only have one drive plugged in during your os install otherwise this will always happen
im pretty sure i had every drive unplugged , its not marked my primary , i have ssd m.2 that i made a patriation for, it should have files on it besides backup files

Aug 13, 2022
any drives connected during a Windows installation may end up with system partitions allocated to them.
removing these drives, or these particular system partitions, will prevent the system from properly booting.
im pretty sure i had every drive unplugged , its not marked my primary , i have ssd m.2 that i made a patriation for, it should have files on it besides backup files

so any other accessible partitions could have system files written to them.
if anything may be changed/altered then the boot process cannot continue.
This only happens when you have several drives plugged in during install of the os, they are then marked as primary to the os, the system won't register it but the os will notice if it's missing again it's a primary, generally marked as a slave drive.

Aug 13, 2022
This only happens when you have several drives plugged in during install of the os, they are then marked as primary to the os, the system won't register it but the os will notice if it's missing again it's a primary, generally marked as a slave drive.
is there a way too move it too another drive or do i have too do a clean install of windows