[SOLVED] Upgraded GPU but no increase in FPS

Blueflare

Honorable
Sep 15, 2016
Hi, I just upgraded from a GTX1060 to an RTX3060 but have seen zero increase in FPS on Xplane 11
I used DDU after installing and new drivers loaded on reboot.

XMP is turned on in bios.

My new specs are:
i76700 3.4gz
16GB Ram
RTX3060 12GB
MSI H170 ME
Corsair RM650W

Solution
Always a good idea to fire up your Afterburner app (or whatever you use to monitor GPU activity) and see the mix between GPU and CPU usage. If your GPU is significantly below 99% usage (like below 80%), then that means your CPU is being taxed more than GPU.

You can always use DSR or in-game resolution scaling to run the game at a higher resolution (above your monitor's native resolution) and shift more load onto your GPU, as a way of testing for bottlenecks. The fact that I never heard of that game before leads me to believe it may not be well-optimized and may be shifting load more onto your CPU.

thesub3001

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
From what I've read, this game tends to be more cpu intensive rather than GPU especially if you're doing 1080p gaming. Quick little suggestion, try to bump up the graphics and see at what point your performance starts to lower. From what i've seen on the game's reddit, dudes pair insane cpus with gtx 770 and get better results than mid-range cpus with 1080tis. Now, this might be a load of bs because I cannot fact check or see anything for sure, just a quick refresh around the people in the game's community. It might be an i7 but it's 6th gen so you've quite a bit to go up from where you are. Even an i3 10th gen is better than your i7 AND by a good margin, especially considering it's an i3 we are talking about. I'd suggest looking at a new mobo LGA1700 and an i5 12400(f), those seems to be a very very decent choice for gaming nowadays.

Always a good idea to fire up your Afterburner app (or whatever you use to monitor GPU activity) and see the mix between GPU and CPU usage. If your GPU is significantly below 99% usage (like below 80%), then that means your CPU is being taxed more than GPU.

You can always use DSR or in-game resolution scaling to run the game at a higher resolution (above your monitor's native resolution) and shift more load onto your GPU, as a way of testing for bottlenecks. The fact that I never heard of that game before leads me to believe it may not be well-optimized and may be shifting load more onto your CPU.

Solution

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
On a side note, @17seconds Xplane 11 is a flight simulation game. Maybe 2nd biggest after Microsoft FS. The professional version combined with some pro certifgied hardware simlation gear and Garmin Real Simulator units and Precision Flight Controls and such log those glight hours as would let the trainee pilot to log towards FAA certificate flight training hours.

Although you'd have to check your hardware against their s and FAA certified hardware, which somehow might mean software is optimized towards working with certain hardware better.

Hi, I just upgraded from a GTX1060 to an RTX3060 but have seen zero increase in FPS on Xplane 11
I used DDU after installing and new drivers loaded on reboot.

XMP is turned on in bios.

My new specs are:
i76700 3.4gz
16GB Ram
RTX3060 12GB
MSI H170 ME
Corsair RM650W

If X-plane 11 is half as CPU intensive as MSFS 2020 is (which I have played a lot of) then your CPU is what needed upgrading, not your GPU.

Simulation games like MSFS and X-plane are heavily CPU reliant. Since you upgraded your GPU (which wasn't holding back your frame rates) instead of your CPU (which was holding back your frame rates), you saw no improvement in FPS.

The i7-6700k is old by modern standards: it came out in 2015 and has only 4 cores and 8 threads. Upgrading to a newer CPU such as a Ryzen 5600x or an Intel 12400/12600k should boost your frame rates significantly.