[SOLVED] Upgraded GPU, but PSU is under the recommended number. Please help.

benzzodude

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
I recently upgraded my GPU to a RTX 2070 Super, thinking my PSU was 800W. It wasn't, it's 600W and clearly I need my eyes checked. The new GPU recommends a 650W PSU, so my question is: is it safe to run the RTX 2070 Super with a 600W PSU? Also, I tried a power supply calculator (results in the imgur screenshot) because I was kinda worried. System specs below.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-D3G-CF
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k 4.00 GHz
GPU: RTX 2070 Super (VRAM: 8GB)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: 256GB SSD, 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD

View: https://imgur.com/a/KiFr8kD

Last edited:
Solution
Why do you call yourself dumb?
When i started helping here ppl Neither I did know everything.
RMx comes with kit of its own cables which are modular (connect-disconnect), you never use them with other PSU cause the pinout is different (never inter-swap with other modular PSU's).
Your current PSU has soldered cables which you cannot disconnect, nor why should
I recently upgraded my GPU to a RTX 2070 Super, thinking my PSU was 800W. It wasn't, it's 600W and clearly I need my eyes checked. The new GPU recommends a 650W PSU, so my question is: is it safe to run the RTX 2070 Super with a 600W PSU? Also, I tried a power supply calculator (results in the imgur screenshot) because I was kinda worried. System specs below.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-D3G-CF
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k 4.00 GHz
GPU: RTX 2070 Super (VRAM: 8GB)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: 256GB SSD, 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD

View: https://imgur.com/a/KiFr8kD
List the brand, model and age of the power supply.

benzzodude

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
600w is plenty for that setup.

The question is what exactly is your psu model??

There are varying degrees of quality on psu's and to my knowledge there's nothing that's a straight 600w that is particularly decent quality
It's hard to tell right now without opening the PC up but it has the 80+ Rating sticker on it, but I know that the PSU is around 4 years old and I've never had any problems with it. I'll update with more details later.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
It's hard to tell right now without opening the PC up but it has the 80+ Rating sticker on it, but I know that the PSU is around 4 years old and I've never had any problems with it. I'll update with more details later.

There are plenty of awful PSUs with an 80 Plus rating, which is a rating based on efficiency, not quality or safety. Knowing the exact PSU is a must.

DSzymborski

Titan
😬😬😬😬

Yeah, hard no on this one. Very low-quality group-regulated PSU with dirt-cheap capacitors and mediocre voltage regulation. Only got the 230V 80 Plus, a situation no competent PSU finds itself in in 2020. Or 2014...

This is a "must replace before using a 2070 Super" thing, not an instance of using it temporarily.

benzzodude

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
😬😬😬😬

Yeah, hard no on this one. Very low-quality group-regulated PSU with dirt-cheap capacitors and mediocre voltage regulation. Only got the 230V 80 Plus, a situation no competent PSU finds itself in in 2020. Or 2014...

This is a "must replace before using a 2070 Super" thing, not an instance of using it temporarily.
Right. So what PSU would you recommend? Can't afford anything too expensive but I don't want cheap crap either.

DSzymborski

Titan
Right. So what PSU would you recommend? Can't afford anything too expensive but I don't want cheap crap either.

For a GPU like this, anything below a Tier B on the curated PSU list here is a non-starter.

The power supply is the most important part of the PC. If no quality power supplies are in your budget, I'd return the 2070 Super for a refund and get a 2060 Super and a proper PSU (or wait from a 3060 plus PSU).

It's fortunate you didn't have the 700W version of this or anything; it's not a good PSU either. You'd be fine with a high-quality 550W PSU, the problem here is quality and safety, not wattage.

benzzodude

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
For a GPU like this, anything below a Tier B on the curated PSU list here is a non-starter.

The power supply is the most important part of the PC. If no quality power supplies are in your budget, I'd return the 2070 Super for a refund and get a 2060 Super and a proper PSU (or wait from a 3060 plus PSU).

It's fortunate you didn't have the 700W version of this or anything; it's not a good PSU either. You'd be fine with a high-quality 550W PSU, the problem here is quality and safety, not wattage.
My knowledge on different types of PSU’s, the cables and which PSU’s are compatible etc is almost non-existent. I’d like to spend no more than £100 preferably.

DSzymborski

Titan
My knowledge on different types of PSU’s, the cables and which PSU’s are compatible etc is almost non-existent. I’d like to spend no more than £100 preferably.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£96.98 @ Currys PC World Business)
Total: £96.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-20 08:29 GMT+0000

This is doable! Unfortunately, PSUs are a little more expensive than they were pre-COVID as there have been supply issues.

benzzodude

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£96.98 @ Currys PC World Business)
Total: £96.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-20 08:29 GMT+0000

This is doable! Unfortunately, PSUs are a little more expensive than they were pre-COVID as there have been supply issues.
Looks good, but I did find another PSU. One of the top rated ones apparently. What do you think of the GameMax RGB-850 850W Modular 80 Plus Gold Power Supply with 14cm RGB Fan - Black? If this is a no-go for whatever reason then I’ll go with the one you recommended. I found it on a Top 10 list, which took me to Amazon and the cost is under £100. I’m unable to post the link.

Last edited:
Looks good, but I did find another PSU. One of the top rated ones apparently. What do you think of the GameMax RGB-850 850W Modular 80 Plus Gold Power Supply with 14cm RGB Fan - Black? If this is a no-go for whatever reason then I’ll go with the one you recommended. I found it on a Top 10 list, which took me to Amazon and the cost is under £100. I’m unable to post the link.
Buying High end PSU now will result you better long run. (10 year warranty is no brainer)
Also stay away from those Gamemax , Xilence or whatever the name.
Im running an 1 year warranty which Expired long time ago VS550 Orange unit from corsair, it did not fail me yet, Ran GTX 470, RX 480, RX 580, R9 280 , 1050Ti and GTX9800 GX2 (yes dual gpu, and yes im feeling lucky).

benzzodude

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
Buying High end PSU now will result you better long run. (10 year warranty is no brainer)
Also stay away from those Gamemax , Xilence or whatever the name.
Im running an 1 year warranty which Expired long time ago VS550 Orange unit from corsair, it did not fail me yet, Ran GTX 470, RX 480, RX 580, R9 280 , 1050Ti and GTX9800 GX2 (yes dual gpu, and yes im feeling lucky).
Noted. How about the PSU Dszymborski recommended?

benzzodude

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
Why do you call yourself dumb?
When i started helping here ppl Neither I did know everything.
RMx comes with kit of its own cables which are modular (connect-disconnect), you never use them with other PSU cause the pinout is different (never inter-swap with other modular PSU's).
Your current PSU has soldered cables which you cannot disconnect, nor why should you?

Reactions: benzzodude