[SOLVED] Upgraded GPU, but PSU is under the recommended number. Please help.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

benzzodude

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
I recently upgraded my GPU to a RTX 2070 Super, thinking my PSU was 800W. It wasn't, it's 600W and clearly I need my eyes checked. The new GPU recommends a 650W PSU, so my question is: is it safe to run the RTX 2070 Super with a 600W PSU? Also, I tried a power supply calculator (results in the imgur screenshot) because I was kinda worried. System specs below.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-D3G-CF
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k 4.00 GHz
GPU: RTX 2070 Super (VRAM: 8GB)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: 256GB SSD, 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD

View: https://imgur.com/a/KiFr8kD

Last edited:
Solution
Why do you call yourself dumb?
When i started helping here ppl Neither I did know everything.
RMx comes with kit of its own cables which are modular (connect-disconnect), you never use them with other PSU cause the pinout is different (never inter-swap with other modular PSU's).
Your current PSU has soldered cables which you cannot disconnect, nor why should
RMx comes with kit of its own cables which are modular (connect-disconnect), you never use them with other PSU cause the pinout is different (never inter-swap with other modular PSU's).
Your current PSU has soldered cables which you cannot disconnect, nor why should

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution

benzzodude

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
Your current PSU has soldered cables which you cannot disconnect, nor why should you?
Poor self-esteem I guess. Thanks for your help (and others in the threads). 👍🏻