Question Upgraded GPU & CPU, get worse performance?

Oct 17, 2020
Ok so, I had a Lenovo Legion 520 die on me. Details included at the bottom, simply because I couldn't find anyone discuss the failure mode online.
i7 7th Gen 7700HQ Nvidia GTX1060 GPU.

I decided to try buying a chassis from RJtech, with an i7-10875 and GeForce RTX2060.

The RAM, HDD and SDD I pulled from the dead laptop and dropped in the new one so they're identical.

Started up fine, windows isn't activated, but as far as I can tell the only problem with that is you can't change your wallpaper. Whatever.

Tried running a game. VERY slow. Realized Windows didn't realize it was in a new computer, so I downloaded the drivers, and voila the GPU appears.

Tried running a game and it's still slow. Notice the CPU is 100% and the GPU is 0%. Go to system-settings-display, and in graphics settings tell the computer to specifically use the GPU for that app. Suddenly the game runs smooth and I see GPU being utilized. This wasn't necessary on the original computer but whatever, this isn't a normal computer and I'm willing to put up with it. I don't have so many games that this would be a huge timesink for me.

However, I tried a more demanding game, Hardspace: Shipbreaker. This game, on the Lenovo, ran the machine hard, got it hot, but it worked with hardly any lag. Even setting the app to run on the new more powerful GPU it's stuttery.

Does anyone know why this would be and how to fix it? Brain Geniuses mentioning this computer wasn't factory assembled and therefore blah blah blah can save it. Nonzero-content responses only please.

If there's something I'm overlooking here, for instance I have my data backed up, I'd wipe the drives and pay the 50 for a cheap windows distro if a clean OS install would help. There are some conflicts listed in System Summary - Hardware Resources, fr instance.

Basically, why should a computer that is composed of equal or better components than another one underperform that other one, and what can I as a user do to improve that performance (or what have I done to mess up that performance)

Failure mode: Pressing the power button, I got the keyboard to light up, fans ran, sometimes the logo on the display, but after 2-5 seconds it would turn off. No idea why. Sometimes it would catch and turn on but that became more and more infrequent. Using the Fn button (to turn on/off keyboad lights or change screen brightness) would cause it to crash. Novo button wasn't any different than using the power button as far as response, swapping the mobo batttery with a fresh CR2032 didn't fix anything, nor did disconnecting both main and mobo battery and plugging back in. Computer wasn't on long enough (and towards the end monitor never displayed anything) to jump to BIOS setup.

Oct 17, 2020
Saw https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/why-am-i-benchmarking-so-low-with-a-2070-super-cpu-bottleneck-low-gpu-usage-to-blame.3653861/

Discuss a benchmarker called Uniengine. Downloaded it and ran it.

Since the scores aren't out of 100, I can't say for sure how I'm doing except in reference to him, quote:

"With the EVGA PSU I was scoring like 2100 on Unigine Heaven 1080p ULTRA
With the Seasonic PSU (and new PCIE cables) I'm scoring like 2500 on Unigine Heaven 1080p ULTRA

I'm seeing benchmark's online of people running the exact same 3600 and 2070 Super scoring 600+ higher than me
As well I've seen people with the 3700x -- albeit a substantially better CPU than the 3600 -- scoring +1000"

so I ran it twice. Once right out of the box, and, despite the program saying my GPU was a 2060, it only consumed CPU resources (100%) and gave me a paltry 64. On Low. This is to be expected but again, the program seemed to think it was running on my GPU.

I then set the uniengine .exe file to be specifically run with my GPU and got 1980. On Ultra.

What's weird is, I can't figure out why this seemingly very good GPU, even when I specifically tell programs to only refer to it for graphics resources, even though benchmarking software says it's fine, has those same programs run slow and stuttery, and an older, worse GPU ran them smooth as silk? I feel like the disconnect has got to be just dropping an old computer's SDD into a new one and hoping it would just go.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020
So the answer was, uninterestingly, format, reinstall and reboot. No real issues. The conflicts, oddly enough, seem native. If I turn either of the two off in a conflict pair something on my laptop conks out. Trackpad and internal audio sharing the same IRQ forever I guess. Doesn't seem to hurt.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS